Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Great Britain
So I know that "do me a favour" is the correct form but, I live in East Anglia for a while now and I heard a lot of people, natives and non-natives, using "do/give me a favour" interchangeably, as in "would you do something for me?"
I didn't think much of it and would also use them interchangeably (I still do), but then some time ago I googled it and it turns out the one with "give" is incorrect? Is that really so?
I mean that's what native english speakers say, at least where I live, but there is literally no information about this phrase on the internet other than "give is never correct". Oh really? Why do native speakers say it then?
I checked it on Ngram and it clearly shows that the "give" one is almost never used, but then it mainly considers books and some things on the internet, and I can say from my experience that the give one is indeed in regular use.
I really wouldn't like to believe Ngram just yet and instead ask you if you also heard people use "give me a favour", or have you ever used it yourselves? And if you have an idea, why do you think it is considered to be plain incorrect by so many people? Is it really a regional phrase, or is it just so much less popular?
Please answer if you know or have an idea.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am surprised you say "give" is used with "favour" by native speakers where you are from because I have only heard of "do me a favour".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I know that "Do me a favour" is the correct form, but I have lived in East Anglia for a while now, and I heard a lot of people, natives and non-natives, using "do/give me a favour" interchangeably, as in "would you do something for me?"

I didn't think much of it and would also use them interchangeably (I still do), but then some time ago I Googled it, and it turns out the one with "give" is incorrect. Is that really so?

I've never heard "Give me a favor." It sounds like it's a local expression. It's fine to use it in East Anglia for casual conversation, but don't use it elsewhere.

I mean that's what native English speakers say, at least where I live, but there is literally no information about this phrase on the internet other than "Give is never correct". Oh, really? Why do native speakers say it then?

They do because they do.

I checked it on Ngram and it clearly shows that the "give" one is almost never used, but then it mainly considers books and some things on the internet, and I can say from my experience that the give one is indeed in regular use.

I really wouldn't like to believe Ngram just yet and instead ask you if you also heard people use "give me a favour", or have you ever used it yourselves?

No and no.

And if you have an idea, why do you think it is considered to be plain incorrect by so many people?

Because it's plain incorrect — except in East Anglia.

Is it really a regional phrase,

Yes.

or is it just so much less popular?

No.

Please answer if you know or have an idea.

I just did.
In this context, so means therefore. Don't begin simple statements with So.

Separate paragraphs with spaces or indents.

(Cross-post.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The next time you hear it from a native East Anglian, ask them whether they consider it dialectal.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't lived in East Anglia, but in the rest of the UK I have only heard do.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe they want to be different.
;-)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've never heard this in my life. I've also asked a friend who grew up in Norwich, and he's not familiar with it, either.

Which part of East Anglia are you in, Madness1?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I asked a friend who lives in Cambridge and she hasn't come across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.