• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

the collective evidence of the facts I have narrated

Does "I have narrated" refer to the whole structure of "the collective evidence of the facts" or it only refer to "the facts"?

when this figure illumines his face with the air exhausted glass tube filled with quicksilver, lying on the table—the light produced by shaking which not impeding the phenomena—so that I can see it distinctly, then the collective evidence of the facts I have narrated proves to me the necessity of the existence of a transcendental being, even if thereby all the conclusions I have come to during twenty years of work and study should be thrown overboard.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: the collective evidence of the facts I have narrated

Quote Originally Posted by jacob123 View Post
    Does "I have narrated" refer to the whole structure of "the collective evidence of the facts" or does it only refer to "the facts"?

"When this figure illumines his face with the air exhausted glass tube filled with quicksilver, lying on the table—the light produced by shaking which not impeding the phenomena—so that I can see it distinctly, then the collective evidence of the facts I have narrated proves to me the necessity of the existence of a transcendental being, even if thereby all the conclusions I have come to during twenty years of work and study should be thrown overboard."

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle
    It refers to "the facts".

Read it as "The collective evidence of ... the facts that I have narrated".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.