Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
There are 30 days in September, we call the period 11th-20th September "Mid-September".

What do we call the period 1st-10th September, and the period 21st -30th September?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: How to call three parts of a month

None of these terms are that precise, but you can divide a month into (for example) early September, mid-September, and late September. Note that only mid-September takes a hyphen as a noun phrase. They're all hyphenated when they're adjectives: It was a late-September evening.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What to call the parts of a month

This one.

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines

None of these terms are that precise, but you can divide a month into (for example) early September, mid-September, and late September. Note that only mid-September takes a hyphen as a noun phrase. They're all hyphenated when they're adjectives: It was a late-September evening.

Are "early, "mid" and "late" also applicable to year?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

You can divide the year into four quarters and call them first quarter (1Q), second quarter (2Q) and so on, as is common in business reports.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are "early, "mid" and "late" also applicable to a year?
Yes, but Ted's answer is better.

Note that I have improved your thread title. We don't start a question with 'How to', and it should have had a question mark anyway.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Are "early, "mid-" and "late" also applicable to year?
I think they're fine. We don't always need to be exact.

Note, though, that mid isn't a word, it's a prefix. So it's hyphenated, and it's sometimes phrased differently. Examples:

- It was early/late 2010 when we met.
- It was mid-2010 when we met.

- I'll see you sometime early/late in the year.
- I'll see you sometime mid-year.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: What to call the parts of a month

I was suggesting "What to call the parts of a month" instead of "How to ...."
Ah—I've only just clocked it – you changed the thread title. That move confused me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You can divide the year into four quarters and call them first quarter (1Q), second quarter (2Q) and so on, as is common in business reports.
Are you sure? It's good point, up to a point. As you say, quarters are highly useful for discussing things like financial reports and economic indicators.

But for ordinary conversation, it wouldn't be natural. I've never heard anyone say: "Let's get together in the third quarter."

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
Yes, but Ted's answer is better.

Note that I have improved your thread title. We don't start a question with 'How to', and it should have had a question mark anyway.

When a person is writing sentences in other language, he usually thinks of what he is going to express in his native grammar, then translate the idea in his mind into other language.

Usually mobile numbers are long, I memorize my mobile number in my language, I can dictate it in my language, but it is difficult for me to dictate it in English. Young persons may not find it is difficult to memorize long numbers in other language.

Last edited:

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines

I think they're fine. We don't always need to be exact.

Note, though, that mid isn't a word, it's a prefix. So it's hyphenated, and it's sometimes phrased differently. Examples:

- It was early/late 2010 when we met.
- It was mid-2010 when we met.

- I'll see you sometime early/late in the year.
- I'll see you sometime mid-year.

I have heard people say "see you on Saturday", could I write "I'll see you sometime in/on mid-year."?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I have heard people say, "See you on Saturday". Could I write, "I'll see you sometime [STRIKE]in/on[/STRIKE] mid-year."?
You could say, "I'll see you sometime mid-year" without in or on.

These are more likely:

- "I'll see you later in the year."

- "I'll see you this summer."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When a person is writing sentences in another language, he/she usually thinks of what he/she is going to express in his/her native [STRIKE]grammar[/STRIKE] language, then translates the idea in his/her mind into the other language.

Usually mobile numbers are long; I memorize my mobile number in my language, I can dictate it in my language, but it is difficult for me to dictate it in English. Young [STRIKE]persons[/STRIKE] people may not find it is difficult to memorize long numbers in another language.

Note my corrections above. I hope that the first long sentence shows you why it is much neater to use the gender-neutral "they" in such contexts. Here's how I would have written the sentence.

When someone is writing something in a foreign language, they usually think of what they're trying to say in their native language, then they translate it into the other language.

I'm not sure of the relevance of the story about mobile numbers. This is nothing to do with memorising anything. Of course you need to memorise your mobile number but your English is at a level where I would expect you to be able to give me any number between 1 and 100 (in English!) without first thinking of it in your native language and then translating it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When a person is writing sentences in another language, he usually thinks of what he is going to express in his native language, then translates the idea in his mind into the other language.

Usually mobile numbers are long. I memorize my mobile number in my language. I can dictate it in my language, but it is difficult for me to dictate it in English. Young people might not find it is difficult to memorize long numbers in other languages.

I think you are thinking of yourself and generalizing from that.

If you are thinking in your first language and then translating you are giving yourself a lot of extra trouble. Also, you are not really learning English until you can think in English.

It seems that you are making vocabulary a priority. (It is hard for me to think of anything else to say.)

Status
Not open for further replies.