Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The female speaker says:
Would you like to know how to improve your English level in 4 days? Today, I will tell you an effective method.

Source: from a Chinese video titled "Say Good-bye to Dumb English"(the original title is in Chinese)

==================================

Do the two sentences sound natural in English? Both "English level" and "method" sound odd to me because they not colloquial. I believe native English speakers would express like this:

Would you like to improve your English in 4 days? Today, I will tell you an effective way.

=============================
I am not very sure.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The female speaker says:
Would you like to know how to improve your English level in four days? Today, I will tell you an effective method.

Source: from a Chinese video titled "Say Good-bye to Dumb English"(the original title is in Chinese)

==================================

Do the two sentences sound natural in English? Both "English level" and "method" sound odd to me because they are not colloquial. I believe native English speakers would express like this:

Would you like to improve your English in four days? Today, I will tell you an effective way to do it.

=============================
I am not very sure.

You are right that knowing how to do something and doing it are not the same thing.

(The original is perfectly fine.)

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(The original is perfectly fine.)

Are you saying that the original two sentences ("Would you like to know how to improve your English level in 4 days? Today, I will tell you an effective method.") are fine?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"English level" sounds unnatural to me. I would say "English/English proficiency level".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Being picky, I'd say that improve your English level is not brilliant, though it does sound like something that many native speakers would naturally say. I wouldn't, however, because I don't think 'improve a level' is a good word combination. I can understand why she wanted to include the word level in the sentence, though.

There's nothing wrong with method in this sense—in fact it's arguably even better than way, since it's more technical. However, 'tell somebody a method' doesn't work any better than 'tell somebody a way'. There are several other verbs to use in place of tell.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose she could have said explain.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I suppose she could have said explain.

You haven't answered my question in #3 post:

Are you saying that the original two sentences ("Would you like to know how to improve your English level in 4 days? Today, I will tell you an effective method.") are fine?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose it's okay, but I don't like that one much. Try:

I will explain an effective method to you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The female speaker says:
Would you like to know how to improve your English level in 4 days? Today, I will tell you an effective method. . . .
I hate it.

1. She's too lazy to spell out four.

2. The word level is unnecessary and, in this case, meaningless. Wordiness wastes readers' time.

3. The first sentence is ambiguous. Are we going to improve our English over a four-day period, or are we going to improve it four days from now? (The word Today clears it up, but it she shouldn't be using sentences that need clearing up.)

4. The word tell is a poor choice.

NOTE: It's better to only mention the sex (or age, ethnicity, or nationality) of a speaker when it matters.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Charlie on this one. (He has really strong feelings about this one. :) )

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I agree with Charlie on this one. (He has really strong feelings about this one. :) )

Urgo your judgement "the original is perfectly fine" is misleading.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. She's too lazy to spell out four.

2. The word level is unnecessary and, in this case, meaningless. Wordiness wastes readers' time.

3. The first sentence is ambiguous. Are we going to improve our English over a four-day period, or are we going to improve it four days from now? (The word Today clears it up, but it she shouldn't be using sentences that need clearing up.)

4. The word tell is a poor choice.

I have to disagree:

1. I assume she was speaking, not writing.

2. I think the word level is key here. The point is that the learner will jump from one particular level to another. In EFL, teachers and learners alike customarily work with the idea that proficiency is graded into discrete levels. She means that within four days of using this method, you will jump up to the next level.

3. I don't think it's ambiguous at all.

4. Okay, yes, this one I fully agree with!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Urgo your judgement "the original is perfectly fine" is misleading.

If you have been reading this thread (which you started) you should know that I suggested explain (instead of tell).

Now that I have seen jutfrank's post I agree with jutfrank. ;-)

Urgo?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have to disagree:

1. I assume she was speaking, not writing.

I'll never know. But I'll join you in assuming.

2. I think the word level is key here. The point is that the learner will jump from one particular level to another. In EFL, teachers and learners alike customarily work with the idea that proficiency is graded into discrete levels. She means that within four days of using this method, you will jump up to the next level.

Good thought. Maybe that's possible. I just didn't think the word was necessary or helpful in an ad. But you're the pro. I couldn't teach a parrot to talk!

3. I don't think it's ambiguous at all.

I can read "in four days" both ways. I'm a literalist. It comes from years of fundraising, where nothing means no but "No."

4. Okay, yes, this one I fully agree with!

And you're not the only one!
On we go. . . .

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***Dialogues***

GT: You were wrong to say that.
Tarheel: For a Chinese person she expresses herself quite well.
GT: But she's a teacher!
Tarheel: We get questions from teachers all the time.

GT: How can you agree with both Charlie and jutfrank?
Tarheel: They come from different perspectives.
GT: That's it?
Tarheel: That's it.

GT: Why do you make up these imaginary conversations?
Tarheel: It's easy.
GT: I didn't ask you that. I said why do you do it?
Tarheel: Because I can.
;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you saying that the original two sentences ("Would you like to know how to improve your English level in 4 days?" and "Today, I will tell you an effective method no full stop here") are [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] OK/correct/acceptable?

Note my corrections above. We use "It's fine" in a declaratory sentence but very rarely in the interrogative.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my corrections above. We use "It's fine" in a declaratory sentence but very rarely in the interrogative.

"Perfectly fine" was Tarheel's words and I quoted it to show how questionable his point was. So I think "OK/correct/acceptable" is not a good choice there.

Status
Not open for further replies.