Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is there a difference between "to the press and general public" and "to the press and the public"?

My guess is that "general public" and "the public" are not interchangeable. The public doesn't necessarily mean general public; it can refer to the most of people in the scientific community, which general public are out of the door of science.

Am I on the right track?

==================================

Equally our editors, many of whom are women, have been coordinating our 21 journals under difficult circumstances while largely working from home for more than 6 months. In some cases, we have had five times as many submissions as usual, and have had to rapidly publish important work without compromising our usual quality checks or publication processes. We have encouraged and facilitated global medical conversations among the scientific community in our Comment and Correspondence sections, including research-based ideas, as a new way to advance understanding about COVID-19 as quickly as possible. Furthermore, we have attempted to ensure honest reporting of research findings, including to the press and general public.

Source: The Lancet Sep.19, 2020
COVID-19: a stress test for trust in science

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. The "general public" is people in general, as opposed to a specific group like the scientific community.

I have no idea what you mean by "out of the door of science".

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You haven't answered my question - the difference between "general public" and "the public". Are they interchageable?

"Out of the door of science", for example, a layman like a hick is out of the door of science because he has few or no knowledge of science as opposed to a scientist who has entered the grand building of science and lives there.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How about "outside of the grand building of science"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I get the feeling you're transliteraterating a Chinese idiom. It means nothing in English.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can use the phrase "edifice of science". "Grand" isn't wrong, but I'd use a different adjective with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.