• Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I Wish to Neighbor with Xia Jie

You're right. (See post #19.) Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Don't be uspet. Ems was doing what we all do: We try to keep students out of trouble. It was just a misunderstanding, and you cleared it up well in post #13. So sorry you needed to!

You mentioned etiquette. Why do we discuss it? When we advise on our language, we advise on our culture, too, because they can't be separated. For example, as you pointed out, although it might be fine to call an adult a girl or a boy in other cultures, it can insult a native English speaker. People from other cultures won't know unless we tell them.

So we do. But inevitably, sometimes we get it wrong.

Keep up the good work. Your written English is strong, clear, and persuasive.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

tree123 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: I Wish to Neighbor with Xia Jie

Thank you all very much for your comments with understanding. Honestly I a bit worried if I would be declared as person non grata because of my wording when I responded.

I do realize I don't maneuver my wording very well especially when it comes to my responses to emsr2d2. On the hand it is out of my half-baked English language, and on the other hand it is out of my personality. I'm too emotional and too straight forward. This is not an elegant attitude I'm supposed to adopt myself.

I apologize I don't click 'like' and 'thank' to other comments of yours including emrs2d2's that I truly appreciate, because the little of the feeling is still lingering. I do know none of us here are trying to be ill to each other.

I've said what I was trying to put in several longwinded posts of mine. I'd like to call it a day about the issue from my part and I probably won't response further. Excuse me.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3