Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear all,

I work for a museum and have a problem describing the terms for booking our guided tour in English.

One of the terms that annoys me the most is about booking and cancellation deadlines.

Our rule states that, if a prospective visitor wants to have a guided tour on a certain day, say the 10th of October, then he or she must book online before oo:eek:o am of the 9th of October, i.e. the 8th of October. Likewise, if someone wants to cancel his or her registration, say on the 10th of October, he or she shall cancel before oo:eek:o am of the 9th of October, i.e. the 8th of October.

So I am seeking your kind guidance on how to describing this term succinctly in English. I can only think of the below but have no ideas about hot to fill in the underlines.

'If the registrant is unable to attend, he or she must cancel registration online at least ___ before the day of the tour. Please note that in order to prepare for the tour, registration will not be accepted ____ before _____ (or tours shall be registered ____ before the day)'.

Thank you very much in advance.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
So I am seeking your kind guidance on how to describe [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] this [STRIKE]term[/STRIKE] situation succinctly in English. I can only think of the phrasing below but have no idea [STRIKE]s about[/STRIKE] how to fill in the gaps. [STRIKE]underlines.[/STRIKE]

If [STRIKE]the registrant is[/STRIKE] you are unable to attend, [STRIKE]he or she[/STRIKE] you must cancel [STRIKE]registration[/STRIKE] your reservation online at [STRIKE]least ___ before[/STRIKE] the latest by 12:00 am the day [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] before the tour. Please note that in order for us to prepare for the tour, registration will not be accepted after 12:00 am the day before the tour.[STRIKE]____ before _____ (or tours shall be registered ____ before the day)'.[/STRIKE]
Try that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Make sure your audience knows what you mean by 12:00 am. In some countries that's midnight and in some it's midday.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Two successive results in a Bing query give 12AM as midnight and noon respectively. I don't want to start a discussion on that but for clarity I would stick with the 24 hour clock although I would suggest using 24:00 rather than 0:00 as people will want to know that last day on which they can book nor the first day on which they can't.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think there is still ambiguity in writing "12.00 am. the day before the tour, whether it is 0000 hour (start) or 2400hr (end). Using the 24-hour clock would be more precise.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
12 noon is unambiguous and understood all around the world.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
12.00 am is midnight, not noon.
Many people don't know that. If you want to be certain you'll be understood, you'll say "12:00 noon" and "12:00 midnight". When I followed your link, the page that opened said the same thing.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Many people don't know that. If you want to be certain you'll be understood, you'll say "12:00 noon" and "12:00 midnight". When I followed your link, the page that opened said the same thing.

There is still the ambiguity of midnight of which particular day.

12.00 midnight the day before the tour - Is it 00:00 or 24:00?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "the latest by 12:00 am the day before the tour" mean "for example, the tour day is Oct.10, then 'the latest by 12:00 am' means 'at least before 12:00 noon of Oct.9'"?

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
12.00 am is midnight, not noon. Read this.
The next result in the query, also from an authoritive site, says the opposite. That is why we are suggesting using the 24 hour clock or saying "midnight" for a customer facing announcement where misunderstanding could cost the OP's business money.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Be clear- no one confuses noon and midnight.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does "the latest by 12:00 am the daybefore the tour" mean "for example, the tour day is Oct.10, then 'the latest by 12:00 am' means 'at least before 12:00 noon of Oct.9'"?

No. What you've written there is almost meaningless, since 12:00 am (midnight) is generally considered to be the threshold between days.

If you mean 'by noon', then make that clear.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No. What you've written there is almost meaningless, since 12:00 am (midnight) is generally considered to be the threshold between days.

If you mean 'by noon', then make that clear.

Sorry I still couldn't get a clear picture. For12:00 am (midnight) before Oct.10, is it the midnight bordering Oct.8 and Oct.9, or the midnight bordering Oct.9 and Oct.10?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry I still couldn't get a clear picture. For12:00 am (midnight) before Oct.10, is it the midnight bordering Oct.8 and Oct.9, or the midnight bordering Oct.9 and Oct.10?

Like I said, midnight is generally seen to be the threshold between days, so it doesn't make sense to say 'before'.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Like I said, midnight is generally seen to be the threshold between days, so it doesn't make sense to say 'before'.

So the question remains as it is. Because it is not clear which midnight that is.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What's the question?

The question is to express the time clearly so that you can effectively cancel your plan (otherwise you have to pay the bill). Since we don't know which midnight that is, the time to effectively cancel is not clear.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The question is to express the time clearly so that you can effectively cancel your plan (otherwise you have to pay the bill). Since we don't know which midnight that is, the time to effectively cancel is not clear.
"Midnight" is 24:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.