Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I invited a contractor to quotes for a construction works last week. The contractor has replied to me, but the number of plant is changed, so i want to resent a updated schedule to him for the new quotation.

Can i say:
Thank you for your quotation on xx 2020, due to the number of plant is changed, please find the updated schedule for your quotation.

Is there any faults of grammar?
Sorry, i know my English is not good enough.
Thank you for your help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I invited a contractor to [STRIKE]quotes[/STRIKE] quote for [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] some construction works last week. The contractor has replied to me, but the number of the plant [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has changed, so I want to [STRIKE]resent[/STRIKE] send an updated schedule to him for the new quotation.

Can I say the following?

Thank you for your quotation [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] of [date] 2020. Due to the fact that the number of the plant [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has changed, please find the updated schedule for your quotation.

[STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Are there any [STRIKE]faults of[/STRIKE] grammar errors?
Sorry, I know my English is not good enough. Good enough for what?

[STRIKE]Thank you for your help.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Note my corrections above. I don't know what you mean by "the number of the plant" or "an updated schedule".

sunnyaykl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Note my corrections above. I don't know what you mean by "the number of the plant" or "an updated schedule".

Thank you so much.

'The number of plant' means the number of machine which is used for construction.

'The updated schedule' means the updated lists which show the machine's name or type.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The plant number has changed."
"Attached is a revised schedule of works showing the amended plant number."

sunnyaykl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"The plant number has changed."
"Attached is a revised schedule of works showing the amended plant number."

Can I say the following?

Thank you for your quotation of [date] 2020. Due to the fact that the plant number has changed, we hope you can reconsider the price and send us a new quotation. Attached is a revised schedule of works showing the amended plant number.

sunnyaykl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can I say the following?

Thank you for your quotation of [date] 2020. Due to the fact that the plant number has changed, we hope you can reconsider the price and send us a new quotation. Attached is a revised schedule of works showing the amended plant number.

And may I know the reason for changing 'is changed' to 'has changed'?
I think it is a passive voice.
Thank you.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
And may I know the reason for changing 'is changed' to 'has changed'?
I think it is a passive voice.
Thank you.

The present perfect tense is appropriate for an action that happened in the past which is relevant to the present.
"Is changed" is in the simple present tense.

Plant number is ambiguous - does it mean the registration number of a plant or the total number/units of plants? I think it is the latter as it affects the pricing.

sunnyaykl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The present perfect tense is appropriate for an action that happened in the past which is relevant to the present.
"Is changed" is in the simple present tense.

Plant number is ambiguous - does it mean the registration number of a plant or the total number/units of plants? I think it is the latter as it affects the pricing.

Yes, it means the total units of plants. If I use "the quantity of plants", will it be better?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, it means the total units of plants. If I use "the quantity of plants", will it be better?

The number of plants would be simpler.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The number of plants would be simpler.
And if you mean machines, say machines. Plant has several meanings, but none of them is machine.

I thought you were hiring someone to landscape your yard.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
And if you mean machines, say machines. Plant has several meanings, but none of them is machine.
A plant is the machinery used in an industrial process, e.g. the plant set up on site in a construction project for the production of concrete or the fabrication of steel bars.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
When it refers to an industrial place (e.g. a manufacturing site), it can be countable, but when it refers to machinery, it is usually used as a mass noun. See entries #2 and #2.1 for "plant" as a noun in the following link.
https://www.lexico.com/definition/plant

sunnyaykl: are you referring to the quantity of machines involved or to the number (code) of one particular machine?

sunnyaykl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When it refers to an industrial place (e.g. a manufacturing site), it can be countable, but when it refers to machinery, it is usually used as a mass noun. See entries #2 and #2.1 for "plant" as a noun in the following link.
https://www.lexico.com/definition/plant

sunnyaykl: are you referring to the quantity of machines involved or to the number (code) of one particular machine?

I mean the quantity of machines.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I mean the quantity of machines.

Why did you say plant when you mean machines? A plant is a setup of machines. I suppose different types of machines are involved.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why did you say plant when you mean machines? A plant is a setup of machines. I suppose different types of machines are involved.
I agree. (See post #10.)

It might be an industry term, but I've never heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.