Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does "the jocose North Country youths" refer to "alleged spirits" or does it refer to "living people"?

Mrs. Roberts Johnson is another medium who is unequal in her results, but who has at her best a very remarkable power with the Direct Voice. The religious element is wanting at her sittings, and the jocose North Country youths who come through create an atmosphere which amuses the sitters, but which may repel those who approach the subject with feelings of solemnity. The deep Scottish voice of the Glasgow control, David Duguid, a famous medium himself in his lifetime, is beyond all imitation by the throat of a woman, and his remarks are full of dignity and wisdom.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From what you've given us, it could be either. If they're sitting in or near a public place, then the youths might be boisterous people passing. If not, she might be channeling jolly souls of people who died young.

I don't see "alleged spirits" or "living people." Are you sure those are quotes?

Last edited:

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Conan Doyle says the jocose North Country youths who come through. I interpret come through as referring to "spirits".

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
From what you've given us, it could be either. If they're sitting in or near a public place, then the youths might be boisterous people passing. If not, she might be channeling jolly souls of people who died young.

I don't see "alleged spirits" or "living people." Are you sure those are quotes?
I think that jacob123 is developing some scepticism about Conan Doyle's claims.

Quotation marks around "spirits" as I have written in my previous post are there because I am showing my disbelief. Quotes are uneccessary if you say "alledged", and no quotes are needed around "living people".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that jacob123 is developing some scepticism about Conan Doyle's claims.

Quotation marks around "spirits" as I have written in my previous post are there because I am showing my disbelief. Quotes are uneccessary if you say "alledged", and no quotes are needed around "living people".
I don't think using the word spirits without quotation marks would suggest that you believe in them. It's just speaking to the topic.

Jacob, if someone says or writes something, it's a quote. If they're your own words, it's not a quote.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Conan Doyle says the jocose North Country youths who come through. I interpret come through as referring to "spirits".
Yup. As I said, that's one way to read it. I also suggested another. You could very well have picked the right door. Which is actually right depends on more context than that short quote provides.

But I'll bet you're right.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can only see them as spirits.

Status