Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi!

I would like to do TEFL / TESOL training in the future.
At the moment I don't speak English well enough, I still have a lot to learn and then I want to do TEFL / TESOL training.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a BA degree - so I thought I’d do the best TEFL / TESOL training I could to increase my chances of getting a job.

I checked very, very many places, read a lot of reviews and evaluations. Based on these, I found the following courses worthwhile (I would do it online!):

https://www.theteflacademy.com/ - 168-hour five-level certificate

https://www.tefl.org/ - 168-hour five-level certificate

The above two are the best. Very good feedbacks.
Almost nothing negative, nowhere!

https://tefl.ie/ - 300-hour five-level certificate
There are also very good reviews on this. I would most like to choose this, but the customer service was very kind to me, but when I said that I would just sign up next year, I didn't get an answer after that !!! I wrote them an e-mail, they didn't get an answer there either. I'm not sure I'll pick them up after that. After that, I don't trust them.

What would work best for me:

https://www.i-to-i.com/ - 300-hour five-level TEFL Diploma - does that mean a higher level than the certificate?
However, there are also very bad opinions about i-to-i - so I dare not apply here!

The price doesn't matter anyway. I will only want to do the best and highest possible training in the future. I definitely care about level five.
https://bridge.edu/ would also be great, but unfortunately I’m not eligible (I don’t have a high school diploma).

Which one do you recommend, which one should I choose in the future?

I also like the 300-hour degree offered by https://www.go-tefl.com/, but it doesn’t accredit Ofqual unfortunately. And I think it's important.

I am looking for training that is of the highest possible standard, the price doesn’t matter, preferably a minimum of 168 hours, and be fair to the person.

I wanted to choose the 550-hour course at ITTT for the first time, but in principle there is a fake accreditation behind it.

My important question: The level 5 certificate (accredited Ofqual) is there a quality difference between a and a TEFL Diploma? (non-accredited Ofgual)?
What do I mean?
Let's look at an example:
The TEFL Academy is a 168-hour Level 5 certificate accredited by Ofqual.
VS.
Go-TEFL is a 300-hour Master’s Diploma that is not defined as Level 5 and is accredited by “ITEFLAC” only.
So despite the title of “Master Diploma”, I think the training provided by the Level 5 TEFL Academy could mean a higher level because of Ofqual’s accreditation?

I don't know if you can help me here, give me advice.
I apologize for the mistakes, unfortunately I don't speak English well enough.
My English level is B1, I would only start my TEFL course next year after I reached level C1.

I have another question. I will also have to take a language exam.

Which type do you suggest?

-Cambridge
-TOEFL
-IELTS
-TOEIC

I am interested in the Cambrdige language exam or the TOEIC.
I was told that in many countries a TOEIC language exam is required to work for ESL. Is this true?

Thanks for the help!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's slow down a bit. First of all—what is it you want to do with your qualification? Do you want to teach children or adults? Where?

Martinx2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Let's slow down a bit. First of all—what is it you want to do with your qualification? Do you want to teach children or adults? Where?

Hello jutfrank, thank you for your question.
Yes, I want to teach, I prefer children.
No matter where - where I get a job without a degree.
Most in Africa. Possibly in some Asian countries, such as Cambodia.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello jutfrank. Thank you for your question.

[STRIKE]Yes,[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] would prefer to teach [STRIKE], I prefer[/STRIKE] children.

[STRIKE]No[/STRIKE] It doesn't matter where - anywhere I can get a job without a degree.

I would most like to work in Africa [STRIKE]. Possibly in[/STRIKE] but I would consider some Asian countries, such as Cambodia.

Please note my corrections above. (I have added line breaks just so that it's easier to read with the corrections.)

I have a couple more questions:

- What do you consider your current level of English to be?
- Do you think, at your current level, you would be accepted onto any of the courses you listed?

Edit: Sorry, I just reread the opening of your post and realised that you said that you want to improve your own English and then embark on some TEFL/TESOL training. That brings up another question - before you consider that training, how do you plan to bring your own English up to the required level? I think that's a more important question for you right now. It's possible that by the time your English is of the required standard, some of those courses might not even be available.

Martinx2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Please note my corrections above. (I have added line breaks just so that it's easier to read with the corrections.)

I have a couple more questions:

- What do you consider your current level of English to be?
- Do you think, at your current level, you would be accepted onto any of the courses you listed?

Edit: Sorry, I just reread the opening of your post and realised that you said that you want to improve your own English and then embark on some TEFL/TESOL training. That brings up another question - before you consider that training, how do you plan to bring your own English up to the required level? I think that's a more important question for you right now. It's possible that by the time your English is of the required standard, some of those courses might not even be available.

Thanks for the correction.

I learn English very intensively, 2-3 hours a day on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends.
Private tutor 3 hours a week.

By next spring I would definitely like to reach a strong B2 level ---> then I can start one of the TEFL / TESOL trainings.
TEFL training lasts for half a year and by the time I finish, I plan to reach C1 level.
My current level is weak / uncertain B1.

I only start TEFL if I am 100% sure of my knowledge / skills.

They will probably have the same courses next year - only prices change.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the corrections.

I learn English very intensively; I study for 2-3 hours a day on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends.
I have a private tutor for 3 hours a week.

By next spring, I would definitely like to reach a strong B2 level, then I can start one of the TEFL / TESOL [STRIKE]trainings[/STRIKE] courses.
TEFL training lasts for half a year and by the time I finish, I plan to reach C1 level.
My current level is weak/uncertain B1.

I will only [STRIKE]start[/STRIKE] apply for a TEFL course if I am 100% sure of my knowledge/skills.

They will probably have the same courses next year - only the prices will change.

Note my corrections above.

OK - for now, concentrate on your own English. You can ask us again next spring what we think of the courses available (if we have an opinion, of course!) In the meantime, we look forward to helping you with your specific questions about the English language on the various sections of this forum. Take some time to look at the sections to see how the forum works.

Martinx2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

OK - for now, concentrate on your own English. You can ask us again next spring what we think of the courses available (if we have an opinion, of course!) In the meantime, we look forward to helping you with your specific questions about the English language on the various sections of this forum. Take some time to look at the sections to see how the forum works.

Okay, thank you!
Maybe I could get an answer to my underlined question? ("My important question" paragraph)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll let someone else answer that. I'm not up-to-date with current training courses. To help anyone else to do so, I have copied your "important question" below, so they don't have to read the whole of post #1!

This is the question Martinx2 would like an answer to:

My important question: The level 5 certificate (accredited Ofqual) is there a quality difference between a and a TEFL Diploma? (non-accredited Ofgual)?
What do I mean?
Let's look at an example:
The TEFL Academy is a 168-hour Level 5 certificate accredited by Ofqual.
VS.
Go-TEFL is a 300-hour Master’s Diploma that is not defined as Level 5 and is accredited by “ITEFLAC” only.
So despite the title of “Master Diploma”, I think the training provided by the Level 5 TEFL Academy could mean a higher level because of Ofqual’s accreditation?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Maybe I could get an answer to my underlined question? ("My important question" paragraph)

Forget about the diploma. That's just for experienced teachers. You can't do that until you've been teaching for a few years. You have to do the initial training course first.

As for the initial training, I'd usually recommend a CELTA (as mentioned above) but this is not designed for teaching young learners, which you may find to be a problem, given that you say you'd like to teach kids.

I think as long as the institute you choose is suitably accredited, any of the Level 5 courses you list in post #1 would be suitable for your needs. You might want to pay attention to any job placement assistance the course offers, too.

Last edited:

Martinx2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Forget about the diploma. That's just for experienced teachers. You can't do that until you've been teaching for a few years. You have to do the initial training course first.

As for the initial training, I'd usually recommend a CELTA (as mentioned above) but this is not designed for teaching young learners, which you may find to be a problem, given that you say you'd like to teach kids.

I think as long as the institute you choose is suitably accredited, any of the Level 5 courses you list in post #1 would be suitable for your needs. You might want to pay attention to any job placement assistance the course offers, too.

Thank you for your answers!

jutfrank, I am eligible for the courses listed.
I am eligible for the TEFL Diploma offered by i-to-i. No initial training or previous experience is required.

But you’re half right, because many other places require initial training and experience for a TEFL Diploma.

Unfortunately, I am not eligible for the CELTA course (high school diploma required, i do not have).
I learned a profession.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your answers!

jutfrank, I am eligible for all the courses listed.
I am eligible for the TEFL Diploma offered by i-to-i. No initial training or previous experience is required.

[STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] You’re half right, though, because many other places require initial training and experience for a TEFL Diploma.

Unfortunately, I am not eligible for the CELTA course (a high school diploma is required, but I do not have one - I learnt a trade).
[STRIKE]I learned a profession.[/STRIKE]

I did my first ever TEFL training with i-to-i. It was just an introductory weekend course but it was well run and interesting.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Possibly in some Asian countries, such as Cambodia.

I have lived in Cambodia- the CELTA is respected there regardless of the age of the students.

Martinx2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thanks for the help.

I choose the 300-hour course offered by i-to-i. After the course, I take a TOEIC language exam.

What other additional courses can you offer?
I would also do CELTA, but as I mentioned earlier, I don’t have a high school diploma. CELTA requires a high school diploma!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the help.

I am going to choose the 300-hour course offered by i-to-i. After the course, I will take a TOEIC language exam.

What other additional courses can you offer? Who is this question addressed to? We don't offer courses at all here.

I would also like to do a CELTA no comma here but, as I mentioned earlier, I don’t have a high school diploma and CELTA requires one. [STRIKE]a high school diploma![/STRIKE]

See above.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do they have any classroom practice?

Martinx2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thanks for your help, my question is no longer important. I got all my questions answered from a TEFL teacher.

Now the point is one: I need to learn English at C1 level.

Dear emsr2d2 and other English teachers I would like to ask:

What method do you suggest for learning English?
I am currently learning in a way that does not use my native language. It is a paid course, it cost a lot, it was developed by Hungarians, in principle it is the best, it develops all skills, so it covers all areas. In principle, you don't have to add anything to it, because the material is so complete!

My other method is "Flow English Advanced" - you just have to listen to it. Similar to Effortless English.

The point of all my learning English is that I don’t translate words into my native language. The understanding of words takes place through different images and situations. I would like to show you a detail of it, but I would like to send it privately or possibly to an email address. I really want to show you the method, I want you to check its effectiveness.

As English teachers, what else can you suggest to me?
But the material must be monolingual in 100%! This is very important.

I know I made a lot of mistakes in this text because I was in a hurry! I'm sorry! And thanks for the help!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would like to show you a detail of it, but I would like to send it privately or possibly to an email address. I really want to show you the method, I want you to check its effectiveness.

Okay. If you send me an email, I'll be happy to give you my evaluation.

Martinx2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Okay. If you send me an email, I'll be happy to give you my evaluation.

How can I send you an email?
There are no private messages on this forum.

Please write down your email address.
If you don't want to share here, send me a blank email with the subject "learning method": [email address removed by moderator]

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.