Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Post a body which has been held back in the past by non-conductors almost...

What does "a body which has been held back in the past by non-conductors almost as much as its parent in England" mean?

In connexion with John Ticknor the author may quote an experiment which he made and reported in the "Proceedings" of the American Society for Psychical Research, a body which has been held back in the past by non-conductors almost as much as its parent in England. In this instance the author took a careful record of the pulse-beat when Mr. Ticknor was normal, when he was controlled by Colonel Lee, one of his spirit guides, and when he was under the influence of Black Hawk, a Red Indian control. The respective figures were 82, 100 and 118.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: a body which has been held back in the past by non-conductors almost...

Quote Originally Posted by jacob123 View Post
    What does "a body which has been held back in the past by non-conductors almost as much as its parent in England" mean?

In connexion with John Ticknor the author may quote an experiment which he made and reported in the "Proceedings" of the American Society for Psychical Research, a body which has been held back in the past by non-conductors almost as much as its parent in England. In this instance the author took a careful record of the pulse-beat when Mr. Ticknor was normal, when he was controlled by Colonel Lee, one of his spirit guides, and when he was under the influence of Black Hawk, a Red Indian control. The respective figures were 82, 100 and 118.
    The body is the American Society for Psychical Research.

I don't know what conductors and non-conductors are. You're reading the book. Are conductors mediums? Seance leaders?

The society has been held back (discouraged, suppressed, thwarted) by non-conductors. It's parent society in England has been held back more.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

3. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: a body which has been held back in the past by non-conductors almost...

I guess non-conductors are people who do not believe the claims psychics make.