Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does the bold part mean "that was amazing and too much for a beginner medium yet it could be fraudulent and because of this it retarded rather than helped progress"?

There is no more curious and dramatic phase of psychic phenomenon than the apport. It is so startling that it is difficult to persuade the sceptic as to its possibility, and even the Spiritualist can hardly credit it until examples actually come his way. The author's first introduction to occult knowledge was due largely to the late General Drayson, who at that time —nearly forty years ago—was receiving through an amateur medium a constant succession of apports of the most curious description —Indian lamps, amulets, fresh fruit, and other things. So amazing a phenomenon, and one so easily simulated, was too much for a beginner, and it retarded rather than helped progress. Since then, however, the author has met the editor of a well-known paper who used the same medium after General Drayson's death, and he continued, under rigid conditions, to get similar apports. The author has been forced, therefore, to reconsider his view and to believe that he has underrated both the honesty of the medium and the intelligence of her sitter.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Much of that is puzzling. Frankly, I am having trouble understanding the sentence you are asking about.

Apparently, there is skepticism about whether apports are real. (No kidding!)

I don't know what is meant by simulated in that sentence, and I don't know what meant by progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Much of that is puzzling. Frankly, I am having trouble understanding the sentence you are asking about.

Apparently, there is skepticism about whether apports are real. (No kidding!)

Thank you so much. can you tell me what does "simulate" here mean? does author want to imply that it could be imitated by fraudulent means?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much. can you tell me what does "simulate" here mean? Does the author [STRIKE]want to[/STRIKE] imply that they could be produced by fraudulent means?

I had just told you I don't know what it means there, then you ask me about it again! As for the other one, I assume you are talking about apports, and as far as what the writer means there your guess is as good as mine.

(This one is starting to make my head hurt.)

Status
Not open for further replies.