Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does "pass by" a phrasal verb here and if not, what does it mean?

On the other hand, Bailey told me clearly that the tablets had been passed by the British Museum, so that I fear I cannot acquit him of tampering with truth —and just there lies the great difficulty of deciding upon his case. But one has always to remember that physical mediumship has no connexion one way or the other with personal character, any more than the gift of poetry.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jacob123, you currently have 12 open threads on the first page of the Ask A Teacher section. That really isn't fair on other users (or on the volunteers). Please limit your questions about this interminable book to about three a day. Give other people a chance to ask their questions!

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Jacob123, you currently have 12 open threads on the first page of the Ask A Teacher section. That really isn't fair on other users (or on the volunteers). Please limit your questions about this interminable book to about three a day. Give other people a chance to ask their questions!

What about five per day?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What about five per day?

What about I close all your threads for five days? This isn't a negotiation. I have asked you to limit your questions to three a day. Please do so.

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What about I close all your threads for five days? This isn't a negotiation. I have asked you to limit your questions to three a day. Please do so.

Hmmmmmmm. Ok. three questions per day.

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Can I ask in another section of this website?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I ask questions [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in another section of this website?

As long as your questions aren't about that book and they are appropriate for the other sections, yes. We don't want to see more than three threads a day, in total, about the book.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You should post your three daily questions about that book in General Language Discussions, the reason being that they are of no interest to any other ESL students.

I see you've also posted dozens of questions about the same book here.

Last edited:

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
[STRIKE]Does[/STRIKE] Is "pass by" a phrasal verb here and if not, what does it mean?

On the other hand, Bailey told me clearly that the tablets had been passed by the British Museum, so that I fear I cannot acquit him of tampering with truth —and just there lies the great difficulty of deciding upon his case. But one has always to remember that physical mediumship has no connexion one way or the other with personal character, any more than the gift of poetry.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

No, it's not a phrasal verb; it's part of the passive construction "had been passed".

As to the meaning of "pass" in this context, see entry #15 here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not a phrasal verb; it's part of the passive construction "had been passed".

As to the meaning of "pass" in this context, see entry #15 here.

That link won't open for me. Would you please explain that sentence? (Puzzled.)

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
That link won't open for me. Would you please explain that sentence? (Puzzled.)

"If someone in authority passes a person or thing, they declare that they are of an acceptable standard or have reached an acceptable standard." (Collins Dictionary)

The British Museum had officially declared that the tablets were genuine/authentic (or perhaps suitable for the purpose). There's no previous context, so my interpretation of the sentence might be wrong.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Come to think of it I think I have seen that usage in the expression "It will pass". (It's acceptable.) ("The British Museum verified its authenticity" would have made more sense to me.)

Thank you for your help!
:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.