Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "I'm good" sound naturally when replying to the greeting of "How are you?"

Should we reply with "I'm fine" or simply "fine" (or "great")? "I'm good" seems to mean differently from "I'm fine" to me. "I'm good" sounds self-praising and inappropriate. I am not sure

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is replying with "Just so-so" natural?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's one of very many natural responses, but your thread title is not one of them.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's one of very many natural responses, but your thread title is not one of them.

The "English teacher" on Chinese version of TikTok gives 5 examples of how to repond to "How are you?" in different scenarios. The first example is "I'm good" and the third "I'm great."

"I'm great" sounds odder than "I'm good" to me. Is "I'm great" natural in English in responding to "How are you?"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] An "English teacher" on the Chinese version of TikTok gives [STRIKE]5[/STRIKE] five examples of how to respond to "How are you?" in different scenarios. The first example is "I'm good" and the third is "I'm great."

"I'm great" sounds odder than "I'm good" to me. Is "I'm great" natural in English in responding to "How are you?"
It's fine in the right context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You'll hear any one of those from native BrE speakers. "I'm good" has crept in over the last decade or so - I still view it as more of an AmE import but I find myself saying it too.

When you say you think it sounds "self-praising", I think you're misunderstanding what "I'm good" represents. It's not like saying "I'm a good person". It's a way of saying "I'm in good health/I'm in a good mood".

I'm sure at one point or another, I've used all the following in response to "How are you?", sometimes with the opening "I'm" and sometimes with "thanks".

Fine, ta.
Fine, thanks.
I'm good.
I'm well.
I'm very well.
I'm great!*
Fantastic!*
Marvellous!*
So-so.
Not great.
Not good, unfortunately.

The ones marked with an asterisk would only be used if there's a particular reason for you feeling better than just "good" or "well". They would probably result in the other person asking a follow-up question, like "Oh, really? Why?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might say:

I'm OK.