Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I'm not an English native speaker. My first time contacting a few Australians surprised me. Neither could I nor they understand each other. I supposed they must speak the real and correct English and I didn't. But I had got really good marks and certificates in English in school. What's wrong with my English? Out of frustration, I started to practice new type of learning. I avoided teaching materials that were designed only for language learners, and only watched videos and read articles that were not intended for language teaching. That way, despite the fact that I am still unable to speak or write something sounding natural to the native speakers, I have really improved my English.

My personal experience makes me believe that a language learner needs both disciplined teaching like the way school teachers do and learning what people actually say (and do) in real life. A language could be a big family of many members.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not an English native speaker. My first time contacting a few Australians surprised me. I couldn't understand them, and they couldn't understand me. I supposed they must speak the real and correct English and I didn't. But I had got really good marks and certificates in English in school. What's wrong with my English? Out of frustration, I started to practice a new type of learning. I avoided teaching materials that were designed only for language learners, and only watched videos and read articles that were not intended for language teaching. That way, despite the fact that I am still unable to speak or write something sounding natural to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] native speakers, I have really improved my English.

My personal experience makes me believe that a language learner needs both disciplined teaching like the way school teachers do and learning what people actually say (and do) in real life. A language could be a big family of many members.

Interesting story.

I would say:

I'm not a native speaker of English.

And:

What was wrong with my English?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How much speaking practice did you get at school? It can be an issue where grammar is favoured over communication.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
How much speaking practice did you get at school?
Little.
It can be an issue where grammar is favoured over communication.
It's a serious problem.

And, what made things worse was the fact that most of the English teachers did not speak real English. They spoke English words + grammatical rules, which some people call "classroom English".

I think what we call grammar (rules) is a small part of real grammar. The expressions (what to say to express what) are real grammar, for if you express in a wrong way, even if it is correct by grammar (rules), it's hard for people to get what you mean.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can certainly say something that is grammatical but makes no sense.

Most native speakers rarely talk about grammar.(I don't except for this website.)

Status
Not open for further replies.