Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Sep 2020
    • Posts: 56
    #1

    Judgment, decision, choice

    If a child wants to cross a busy road, I warn him, "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road."
    If the child safely crosses the road, can I say he has the sound judgment? Or, he made the right decision? Or He made the right choice?
    Or another word?

  2. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 20,626
    #2

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    Quote Originally Posted by realEnglish View Post
    If a child wants to cross a busy road, I warn him, "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road." If the child safely crosses the road, can I say he has the sound judgment? Or he made the right decision? Or He made the right choice?
    Or another word?
    Try:

    You did well!

    (Your instructions are too complicated. Try: "Wait until you don't see any cars coming, and then cross the street.")
    Not a professional teacher

  3. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Sep 2020
    • Posts: 56
    #3

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    Yes, I agree.
    I'd like to know whether or not those words could be used in that case, and whether or not I use them correctly.

  4. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 20,626
    #4

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    "The right decision" or "the right choice" work there.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 30-Sep-2020 at 20:28. Reason: Fixed typo
    Not a professional teacher

  5. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Sep 2020
    • Posts: 56
    #5

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    Thank you! (I don't know why the thanks and likes buttons don't work.)

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 56,835
    #6

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    Quote Originally Posted by realEnglish View Post
    If a child wants to cross a busy road, I might/would warn him, "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road."

    If the child safely crosses the road, can I say he has the sound judgment, or he made the right decision, or he made the right choice?

    Or Would another word be better?
    Note my corrections above. As a learner, don't start sentences/questions with "Or".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 12,558
    #7

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    It seems to me that you're approaching this in the wrong way, realEnglish.

    My sense here is that you're thinking of a Chinese word and trying to find an English translation. That's not a good idea. Instead, you will do better to study the use of these English words in natural contexts.

  8. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Sep 2020
    • Posts: 56
    #8

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    Thank you everyone for your help. (The thanks and like buttons don't work here.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    It seems to me that you're approaching this in the wrong way, realEnglish.

    My sense here is that you're thinking of a Chinese word and trying to find an English translation.
    Agreed. I realized this problem many years ago. That's why my user name is realEnglish.
    The first language is something like a birth defect in anyone who wants to learn a new language.
    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    That's not a good idea. Instead, you will do better to study the use of these English words in natural contexts.
    To try to get rid of the influence of my first language, I've seen more than 30 thousand videos (as short as minutes and as long as hours), and read more than 100 thousand articles. But as you can see I'm still puzzled by the use of many words, phrases, and expressions.
    Could you please give me more details in how I study in natural contexts?

  9. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 20,626
    #9

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    Wow! That's probably more videos than I have watched.
    Not a professional teacher

  10. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 12,558
    #10

    Re: Judgment, decision, choice

    Quote Originally Posted by realEnglish View Post
    To try to get rid of the influence of my first language, I've seen more than 30 thousand videos (as short as minutes and as long as hours), and read more than 100 thousand articles. But as you can see I'm still puzzled by the use of many words, phrases, and expressions.
    Could you please give me more details in how I study in natural contexts?
    Instead of finding which English word best translates a Chinese word used in a specific context, look at natural contexts for the English words you want to learn.

    In this case, look at clear examples of the words judgement/decision/choice as they appear in authentic use. If you're not sure whether the examples you find are good ones, you can ask us on this forum.

    My point here is that you must get the meaning clear first, and then extrapolate to the use. At the moment, it seems you're doing things the wrong way round.

    (30,000 videos? You must be a very old man!)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •