Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does "he lad would not be put off" mean? does "my own friends" refer to alleged spirits?

In July last I had a sitting with Mr. J. J. Vango, in the course of which the control suddenly told me that there was standing by me a young soldier who was most anxious that I should take a message to his mother and sister who live in this town. I replied that I did not know any soldier near to me who had passed over. However, the lad would not be put off, and as my own friends seemed to stand aside to enable him to speak, I promised to endeavour to carry out his wishes. At once came an exact description which enabled me instantly to recognize in this soldier lad the son of an acquaintance of my family. He told me certain things by which I was made doubly certain that it was he and no other, and he then gave me his message of comfort and assurance to his mother and sister (his father had died when he was a baby), who, for over two years, had been uncertain as to his fate, as he had been posted as "missing."

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "the lad would not be put off" mean?

He would not be discouraged. He would not be dissuaded. He wouldn't take no for an answer. He insisted.

D
oes "my own friends" refer to alleged spirits?

If previous text says the spirits of his dead friends were present, then yes.

By the way, "alleged" is unnecessary. It's clearly Conan Doyle's point of view, not yours.

In July last I had a sitting with Mr. J. J. Vango, in the course of which the control suddenly told me that there was standing by me a young soldier who was most anxious that I should take a message to his mother and sister who live in this town. I replied that I did not know any soldier near to me who had passed over. However, the lad would not be put off, and as my own friends seemed to stand aside to enable him to speak, I promised to endeavour to carry out his wishes. At once came an exact description which enabled me instantly to recognize in this soldier lad the son of an acquaintance of my family. He told me certain things by which I was made doubly certain that it was he and no other, and he then gave me his message of comfort and assurance to his mother and sister (his father had died when he was a baby), who, for over two years, had been uncertain as to his fate, as he had been posted as "missing."

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Always start sentences with capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.