Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If so, the moderator should delete the particular, political argument post, rather than the whole thread. A thread can be used for future references once the question in it gets solved. Simply closing the thread would be another choice.
I especially like your first suggest, deleting indivual posts instead of closing the thread. (And reminding the poster to keep his or her biases out of it.)

I remember being disappointed a few weeks ago when another thread was closed before the language questions were answered. It was unfortunate, because it left the poster with the wrong impression of two or three points.

Anyhow, I'm sure the moderators are thinking about your suggestions.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I remember being disappointed a few weeks ago when another thread was closed before the language questions were answered. It was unfortunate, because it left the poster with the wrong impression of two or three points.
Please PM a moderator if that happens again. We'll re-open the thread unless there's a more pressing reason to keep it closed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think that l would like to get a quick (and still professional) reply - the forum could be a better choice. ;-)

Twitter's all over the place- people type fast and capitalise all sorts of things to emphasise what they think is right. It is more warzone that grammar study. Go with the flow and think first and foremost about the biases the people want to post.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a general comment, this thread seems to be becoming meta-political at times. There's nothing wrong with discussing genuine language around the political situations of today, but let's keep it civilised and with a good light/heat ratio.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I'm not in favor of political commentary of any kind. One, there are places for that. Two, the discussion can quickly get out of hand.

(As it is some posters seem to assume that everybody agrees with their opinion.)
And three, some users would be hurt even if it's just a language question. Four, the political contents can be easily made unpolitical. You only need to ask "If I say ..., is it correct" without mentioning any political figures or parties.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is true that Trump randomly capitalizes words when he Tweets.

It is also true that capitalizing "People" can be a reference to the People capitalized in the first three words of the US Constitution. "We the People"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We ask members to give the source and author/writer of anything they ask about. It's important that we stick to that.

I agree, and the source can be posted in a link for users to read if they wish to. I don't think there's a need to post irrelevant parts of quotes or tweets, or to give screenshots of them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And three, some users would be hurt even if it's just a language question. Four, the political contents can be easily made unpolitical. You only need to ask "If I say ..., is it correct" without mentioning any political figures or parties.

First, I am not at all sure why anybody would be hurt by a language question. Second, it's political content.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
First, I am not at all sure why anybody would be hurt by a language question.

I still remember an article (but can't remember where it is now) saying Winston Churchill sacrificed some troops unnecessarily, and later the survivors found out and they hated Churchill so much that they couldn't even hear his name.

Imagine one of the survivors becomes a forum user and he sees a thread asking about a quote from Churchill.

That's just an example.

Personally, I go to political forums to talk about politics and avoid anything sounding political in other forums.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If so, the moderator should delete the particular, political argument post, rather than the whole thread. A thread can be used for future reference[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] once the question in it gets solved. Simply closing the thread would be another choice.

I found that it should have been "for future reference" (uncountable). :roll:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

He got upset when he heard his (Churchill's) name.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is true that Trump randomly capitalizes words when he Tweets.

It is also true that capitalizing "People" can be a reference to the People capitalized in the first three words of the US Constitution. "We the People"
I didn't read that as a quote of the Constitution. And the Constitution was written in the eighteenth century, when (a) there were no guidelines for when to use capitals and (b) writers tended to capitalize a lot of things, especially nouns.

What was correct then isn't necessarily correct now.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, I am not at all sure why anybody would be hurt by a language question. Second, it's political content.
The question wasn't the problem. The problem was the possibility of rancorous answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.