Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
https://english.stackexchange.com/posts/548284/timeline

Hello from Chile
I have a short story headline called "Los Números Hablan Por Sí Solos", referring to the basic numbers from 0 to 9 in a calculator screen, but I wonder what is more correct: "The Numbers Speak For Themselves" or "Numbers Speak For Themselves"
Thank you for the better translation

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, visigodo, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Both options are grammatically correct and possible. The one with the definite article would make the reader wonder "Which numbers?" They'd expect something like sales figures or other statistics, not simply the ten numerals in our counting system. Therefore, "Numbers Speak For Themselves" is probably your best choice. It means that numbers in general have something to say.

You might also want to consider a different title like "Numerals Make a Statement".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
https://english.stackexchange.com/posts/548284/timeline

Hello from Chile
I have a short story headline called "Los Números Hablan Por Sí Solos", referring to the basic numbers from 0 to 9 on a calculator screen, but I wonder what is more correct: "The Numbers Speak For Themselves" or "Numbers Speak For Themselves"

I would choose "The Numbers Speak for Themselves" but I don't know if that's the correct translation. (My Spanish isn't that good.)

(Cross posted.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would choose "The Numbers Speak for Themselves" but I don't know if that's the correct translation.
Articles work differently in Romance languages. They're required in a lot of places where English doesn't need them. So the presence of the article in the Spanish title doesn't necessarily mean it belongs in the English one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Articles work differently in Romance languages. They're required in a lot of places where English doesn't need them. So the presence of the article in the Spanish title doesn't necessarily mean it belongs in the English one.

Absolutely right. In Spanish, the article can't be omitted, regardless of whether the writer is referring to specific numbers or numbers in general.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Absolutely right. In Spanish, the article can't be omitted, regardless of whether the writer is referring to specific numbers or numbers in general.
Catalan requires the definite article before people's first names in many cases. That definitely takes some getting used to for an Anglophone.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with everything in post #2.

I don't think numbers is the best word here. What you're referring to are more precisely called numerals in English. That's the real translation issue here in my opinion, not the inclusion of an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.