Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Does the first sentence sound natural? All the sentences are mine.

1. "Drivers who had an accident with a car while being intoxicated should be punished more severely."

2. "Drivers who were responsible for a car accident while being intoxicated should be punished more severely."

3. "Intoxicated drivers who were responsible for a car accident should be punished more severely."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Here are my thoughts:

1. "Drivers who ha[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE]ve a[STRIKE]n[/STRIKE] car accident [STRIKE]with a car [/STRIKE]while [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] intoxicated should be punished more severely."

2. "Drivers (who [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] are/have been) responsible for a car accident while [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] intoxicated should be punished more severely."

3. "Intoxicated drivers (who [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] are/have been) responsible for a car accident should be punished more severely."

Thank you. Why is it wrong to use "being"? I used "were" because I was talking about recent car accidents.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The present simple should be used because you are talking about a general fact/opinion. You think that all drivers who are (at any time) responsible for a car accident while they are intoxicated should be punished severely.

We just don't use "being" like that. As you can see above, I chose to write "... while they are intoxicated ...". That can be shortened simply to "while intoxicated", without "being".

You used "more severely". You need to clarify that - "more" than what? More than other drivers? More than they are usually punished at the moment?

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The present simple should be used because you are talking about a general fact/opinion. You think that all drivers who are (at any time) responsible for a car accident while they are intoxicated should be punished severely.

We just don't use "being" like that. As you can see above, I chose to write "... while they are intoxicated ...". That can be shortened simply to "while intoxicated", without "being".

You used "more severely". You need to clarify that - "more" than what? More than other drivers? More than they are usually punished at the moment?

Yes, more severely than they are usually punished.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or more naturally:

- Drunk drivers who cause accidents should be punished more severely.

- Drunk drivers who cause accidents should get harsher sentences.

But — is the comparative more what you want? Are you comparing them to someone else?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, more severely than they are usually punished.
Oh! I see. In that case, you might amend the sentence to something like:

. . . more severely than they usually are.

. . . more severely than is customary.

. . . more severely than how we treat them now.

. . . more severely than they have been in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.