Page 7 of 12 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Last
Results 61 to 70 of 111
  1. #61
    Alexey86 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    697

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    b) The building that he is in has only one fifth floor. This particular fifth floor is just one instantiation of many possible instantiations of fifth floors.
    Three questions:
    1) If I asked you what floor the man on the picture below is on (NOT: which floor of the rightmost building), what would you say?
    2) If you were to ask me to show you any third floor, how would you do that (without any): Show me a third floor (my choice) or Show me the third floor?
    3) If you use different articles with floor in 1) and 2), why?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	3661
    Last edited by Alexey86; 11-Oct-2020 at 21:18.
    Not a teacher or native speaker

  2. #62
    Piscean is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18,486

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Tiny complication: whether it's a, the, any or whatever, AmE third floor is BrE second floor.
    Typoman - writer of rongs

  3. #63
    jutfrank's Avatar
    jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13,569

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexey86 View Post
    Three questions:
    1) If I asked you what floor the man on the picture below is on (NOT: which floor of the rightmost building), what would you say?
    2) If you were to ask me to show you any third floor, how would you do that (without any): Show me a third floor (my choice) or Show me the third floor?
    3) If you use different articles with floor in 1) and 2), why?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	3661
    Sorry, I don't follow. (Nice pictures, by the way.)

    Did you understand my point about how something can be one and many at once?

  4. #64
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    59,259

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    If you showed me that picture and said "Show me a third floor", I would point to one of the third floors that are visible. If you said "Show me the third floor", I would have to ask "Of which building?" If you asked me where the man was, I would be able to use the definite article - "He's at the left-hand window of the second floor of the building on the right".
    Last edited by GoesStation; 11-Oct-2020 at 23:44. Reason: Add a missing word.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. #65
    Alexey86 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    697

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    Did you understand my point about how something can be one and many at once?
    It would really help me to understand if you answered my questions above. What do you not follow exactly?
    Last edited by Alexey86; 11-Oct-2020 at 21:16.
    Not a teacher or native speaker

  6. #66
    Alexey86 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    697

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you showed me that picture and said "Show me a third floor", I would point to one of third floors that are visible
    That's clear, thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you asked me where the man was, I would be able to use the definite article - "He's at the left-hand window of the second floor of the building on the right".
    But that's a different question! My question is What floor the man is on?
    Not a teacher or native speaker

  7. #67
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    59,259

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexey86 View Post
    But that's a different question! My question is What floor is the man is on?
    And my answer would be "He's on the second floor". A man can only be in one place at one time. Your question does not need to elicit the information that we're talking about the building on the right because that's where we can see him. That building has only one second floor.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  8. #68
    jutfrank's Avatar
    jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13,569

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexey86 View Post
    What do you not follow exactly?
    What the point of the questions is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexey86 View Post
    My question is What floor the man is on?
    I think the answer you want me to give here is: He's on a third floor. Is that what you mean?

  9. #69
    Alexey86 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    697

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    And my answer would be "He's on the second floor". A man can only be in one place at one time. Your question does not need to elicit the information that we're talking about the building on the right because that's where we can see him. That building has only one second floor.
    I'm not asking about the floor of that building. There are five buildings in the picture (I mistakenly wrote on the picture earlier) and, therefore, five second floors. The man is on one of these five = He's on a second floor. This is all my question is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    What the point of the questions is.

    I think the answer you want me to give here is: He's on a third floor. Is that what you mean?
    That's my point! See my reply to emsr2d2 above.
    Last edited by Alexey86; 11-Oct-2020 at 21:55.
    Not a teacher or native speaker

  10. #70
    jutfrank's Avatar
    jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13,569

    Re: at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexey86 View Post
    That's my point!
    Okay, good. That's my point too. I hope we've gotten somewhere.

Page 7 of 12 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •