at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development (article use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If your child or client is functioning within level one of the VB-MAPP (The Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program),
that would be equivalent to functioning at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of a typical development.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXLQ4MWnnQ (1.14 - 1.27)

Why was a used? There is only one 0 to 18 month development level and one kind of typical development. I mean development can be either typical or atypical, it's a binary opposition. Of course, there might be variations in development, but every one of them would fall into one or the other kind, wouldn't they?

I'm also not sure how to write the level's name correctly:
a zero to eighteen month level
a zero-to-eighteen-month level
a 0-18 month level
a 0-to-18 month level
a 0 to 18 month level

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: at a zero to eighteen month level of a typical development (article use)

The word "level" is a countable noun so it requires an article.

In my opinion, the indefinite article before "typical development" should not be there.

There's a word missing after "functioning" in the opening part.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

The word "level" is a countable noun so it requires an article.

The question is whether it should be a or the.

In my opinion, the indefinite article before "typical development" should not be there.

Does this mean that you would use the?

There's a word missing after "functioning" in the opening part.

Thank you! I've added is, but it's before "functioning":).

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It should be "a". In contexts like this, we say things like "You should be working at a level commensurate with your experience". I can't make a great argument against "the" but a grammarian might be able to.

Does this mean that you would use the?
No. "typical development" is uncountable so there shouldn't be an article at all.

Thank you! I've added is, but it's before "functioning":).

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was your typo or a mistake in the original.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

It should be "a". In contexts like this, we say things like "You should be working at a level commensurate with your experience". I can't make a great argument against "the" but a grammarian might be able to.

I would also use a in your example because "commensurate with your experience" is not actually the name of the level, it's just your personal description. But suppose there were an area of studies classifying levels people work at and defining one of them as commensurate with experience:). Now that the level is a part of the classification scheme, would you use the (the
commensurate with experience level)?

No. "typical development" is uncountable so there shouldn't be an article at all.

Maybe she didn't say a, and I just misheard her. But the wouldn't make development countable, just definite.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Hold on—am I the only one who thinks she does not say a before typical development. She stutters but I don't think she actually utters an article there.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I mean development can be either typical or atypical, it's a binary opposition. Of course, there might be variations in development, but every one of them would fall into one or the other kind, wouldn't they?

Yes but if she did say a, that wouldn't necessarily imply different types of development. There could be other reasons for using the article.

Anyway, I don't think that's worth discussing since I'm not convinced she actually says it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hold on—am I the only one who thinks she does not say a before typical development. She stutters but I don't think she actually utters an article there.

I don't think that's worth discussing since I'm not convinced she actually says it.
It's worth consulting primary sources! I hadn't looked at the video. I'm not just not convinced she said "a typical development"; I don't hear even a hint of the indefinite article. She doesn't say it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In all honesty, I hadn't watched the video either. She makes a slight sound, possibly she's swallowing or just breathing, before "typical development" but she doesn't say "a" (so the subtitles are wrong).

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Anyway, I don't think that's worth discussing since I'm not convinced she actually says it.

I've listened to her one more time. She doesn't really say a, just takes a little pause. I was mislead by the subtitles.

What about a vs the before zero to eighteen month level?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

What about a vs the before zero to eighteen month level?

I assume that your question here is your way of suggesting the speaker made an error. I would disagree with that. The question should really be why she used an indefinite article there.

My feeling is that the speaker is quite uncertain about the whole sentence so I don't think it's a great example to analyse. However, I'll try to deal with the question as I understand it to exist in your mind.

You have an idea that the use of an indefinite article is evidence that a speaker is referring to a specific type (in your words 'one of many') Is that fair to say? That's how I understand your thinking in post #1 and #5, and that's why you're wondering why a definite article would be preferable. Am I on the right lines?

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

I assume that your question here is your way of suggesting the speaker made an error. I would disagree with that. The question should really be why she used an indefinite article there.

You're right it should be why.

You have an idea that the use of an indefinite article is evidence that a speaker is referring to a specific type (in your words 'one of many') Is that fair to say? That's how I understand your thinking in post #1 and #5, and that's why you're wondering why a definite article would be preferable. Am I on the right lines?

As I understand it, the indefinite article is about elements of classes/sets. When I say "I drive a German car", I basically mean "I drive a thing that is an instance of the class of German cars." So, "a 0 to 18 month level of typical development" sounds to me as if there were at least one more 0 to 18 month level of typical development.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

As I understand it, the indefinite article is about elements of classes/sets. When I say "I drive a German car", I basically mean "I drive a thing that is an instance of the class of German cars."

Yes. That's a clear example.

So, "a 0 to 18 month level of typical development" sounds to me as if there were at least one more 0 to 18 month level of typical development.
Yes, okay, I think I've understood your question properly. I just wanted to check with you to make sure. I'll tell you how I understand this usage:

The indefinite article here does not serve to discriminate one class of level from other classes. This is where it differs from the 'German car' example above. What it does is propose a discrimination between this instance of this class of level and other instances of the same class of level.

I'll give you another example to consider, since I'm not very happy to work with the one we're using. As a teacher, I might very naturally say something in reference to one of my students:

He's at an intermediate level.

Now, I don't feel a need to use a definite article here. The way that I understand what I say 'from the inside' is that in my mind there are imagined to be countless students at this level, and that this particular student's level is a particular instantiation of all of these possible intermediate levels. There is an implied contrast with other levels, yes (in fact, the utterance doesn't really make sense without such a contrast), but the idea is essentially of this particular instance of this particular level.

I hope that makes some sense. As you know, understanding the intricacies of how language refers to thought is just about the hardest possible thing to understand in all of semantics.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

There is an implied contrast with other levels, yes (in fact, the utterance doesn't really make sense without such a contrast), but the idea is essentially of this particular instance of this particular level.

I understand this, but it doesn't make sense to me logically. I'll put the whole passage here again:

If your child or client is functioning within level one of the VB-MAPP (The Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program),
that would be equivalent to functioning at a zero-to-eighteen-month level of typical development.

If I were the speaker, my main idea would be that of the equivalence of level one of the VB-MAPP to the 0 to 18 month level of typical development in contrast to other levels. I see absolutely no point in discriminating instances within this level, because it's a level-to-level comparison, not a level-to-other level's instance one, which would seem logically flawed to me.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Note that the writer hyphenated the long compound adjective. You should have done the same in the thread's title.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Note that the writer hyphenated the long compound adjective. You should have done the same in the thread's title.

Done. The "writer" is me.:) I'm still not sure how to write it correctly.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

If I were the speaker, my main idea would be that of the equivalence of level one of the VB-MAPP to the 0 to 18 month level of typical development in contrast to other levels. I see absolutely no point in discriminating instances within this level, because it's a level-to-level comparison, not a level-to-other level's instance one, which would seem logically flawed to me.

Right. That kind of explains the trouble you're having, I suppose. Fair enough.

But let me ask you this. Imagine we're walking in the street and I point and say to you:

That's a nice Ferrari.

What do you think I'm distinguishing in this case?

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

But let me ask you this. Imagine we're walking in the street and I point and say to you:

That's a nice Ferrari.

What do you think I'm distinguishing in this case?

It means that within the set of Ferrari cars you're distinguishing the subset of nice Ferraries from the subset of not nice ones. The utterance can be reworded as "That's an instance of the subset of nice Ferraries, not of the 'not nice' ones, within the set of Frerrari cars."

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It means that within the set of Ferrari cars you're distinguishing the subset of nice Ferraries from the subset of not nice ones. The utterance can be reworded as "That's an instance of the subset of nice Ferraries, not of the 'not nice' ones, within the set of Frerrari cars."
There's no "e" in "Ferraris".

I think jutfrank was asking about why he chose "that" rather than "it" or "this".

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

I think jutfrank was asking about why he chose "that" rather than "it" or "this".

"That" singles out an object and distinguishes it from any other objects: "That object (not this one or any other) is a nice Ferarri = That object (not this one or any other) is an instance of the subset of nice Ferraris, not of the 'not nice' ones, within the set of Frerrari cars."

I don't quite follow. What does "that" have to do with the level example?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.