Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(Bellow is a comment I wrote in my notebook. It sounds okay to me. Could you find any grammatical errors here? Your editing will be appreciated.)

The Chinese "English teacher" who is active on Chinese version of TikTok and frequently speaks Chinglish (such as "On see him, I start to cry" and "Let's to talk about her") pompously claims that he has invented a mathematic formula with which you can at once understand any English sentence, no matter how difficult that it looks like. Woefully you can see that his students have his style down pat.

English language is no doubt a treasure trove and the Kingdom of Good English needs you to protect and defend it. The so-called universal formula to master English is a lie and should be debunked.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
([STRIKE]Bellow[/STRIKE] Below is a comment I wrote in my notebook. It sounds okay to me. [STRIKE]Could you find[/STRIKE] Are there any grammatical errors? [STRIKE]here?[/STRIKE] Your editing will be appreciated.)

The Chinese "English teacher" who is active on the Chinese version of TikTok and frequently speaks Chinglish (such as "On see him, I start to cry" and "Let's to talk about her") pompously claims that he has invented a mathematical formula, [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] using which you can at once understand any English sentence, no matter how difficult [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] it looks. [STRIKE]like.[/STRIKE]

Woefully you can see that his students have his style down pat.
I have no idea what this sentence means.

The English language is, [STRIKE]no[/STRIKE] without a doubt, a treasure, [STRIKE]trove[/STRIKE] and the Kingdom of Good English needs you to protect and defend it. The so-called universal formula to master English is a lie and should be debunked.

See my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Woefully you can see that his students have his style down pat.
I have no idea what this sentence means.

Is it an American English thing and not understandable to British English readers?

From Free Dictionary:

have/get (something) down pat
To learn, master, or understand something perfectly, to the point of requiring little or no focus to do, recall, or accomplish it.

Make sure you practice these equations until you have them down pat.
I got my routine down pat so there wouldn't be any room for error during the performance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know what "to have something down pat" means but I didn't understand what the OP meant about the students having the "style" down pat. I now think the OP meant that the students have learnt the mathematical formula and are using it to understand all English sentences, but that has nothing to do with the teacher's "style".

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I considered the "teacher" as a "superspreader" whose style is contaminating. What would the students do after they make great efforts in imitating his Chinglish ("On see him, I start to cry" and "Let's to talk about her")? Bragging about the "universal formula" and spreading the Chinglish to others in a similar pompous way is a possiblity.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If he wants to speak in that manner, OK. But he should make it clear to his students that it isn't American English or British English or any variant heard anywhere English is spoken.
:-|

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "contaminate" needs to have an object. Perhaps:

I consider that "teacher" a superspreader whose style contaminates the learning environment..

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If he wants to speak in that manner, OK. But he should make it clear to his students that it isn't American English or British English or any variant heard anywhere English is spoken.
:-|

The problem is that "the English teacher" touts that using his universal formula you can understand any English under the Sun! All the while he speaks Chinglish!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I considered the "teacher" as a "superspreader" whose style is contaminating. What would the students do after they make great efforts in imitating his Chinglish ("On see him, I start to cry" and "Let's to talk about her")? Bragging about the "universal formula" and spreading the Chinglish to others in a similar pompous way is a possiblity.

Do you mean his style is infectious (spreads easily)?

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
The problem is that "the English teacher" touts that using his universal formula you can understand any English under the Sun! All the while he speaks Chinglish!

What does 'tout' mean in your sentence?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does 'tout' mean in your sentence?

It is in its usual sense: attempt to sell (something), typically by pestering people in an aggressive or bold manner."Jim was touting his wares"

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean his style is infectious (spreads easily)?

It is like a bad model that is contaminating, for it cheats gullible people into following suit.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] a bad model.. It fools gullible people. They think they are learning the real thing, but they are not.

Try that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The problem is that "the English teacher" brags that by using his universal formula you can understand any English under the Sun! All the while he speaks Chinglish!

For touts, perhaps:

He touts his universal formula, alleging that it's the best thing ever.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it an American English thing and not understandable to British English readers?

From Free Dictionary:

have/get (something) down pat
To learn, master, or understand something perfectly, to the point of requiring little or no focus to do, recall, or accomplish it.

Make sure you practice these equations until you have them down pat.
I got my routine down pat so there wouldn't be any room for error during the performance.
Maybe. This American understands it.

Status
Not open for further replies.