Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Can I use "one" and "the other" to refer to the "living" and "the dead"? The whole passage I provided for additional Context.
"Do you believe in ghosts?" "No, I don't. I have never seen one.In this world we must focus on the living not on the dead. One doesn't interfere with the other anyway."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I use "one" and "the other" to refer to the "living" and "the dead"? [STRIKE]The whole passage[/STRIKE] I have provided the whole passage for additional context.

"Do you believe in ghosts?"
"No, I don't. I have never seen one. space after a full stop In this world we must focus on the living, not on the dead. The one doesn't interfere with the other anyway."

See my corrections above. Yes, once "the living" and "the dead" have been mentioned, you can call them "The one" and "the other" (I don't know if all variants use "the one" but I do). Bear in mind that it only works in the sentence directly after the actual nouns have been mentioned. Any later than that, and the reader would have trouble remembering or working out what they refer to.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
See my corrections above. Yes, once "the living" and "the dead" have been mentioned, you can call them "The one" and "the other" (I don't know if all variants use "the one" but I do). Bear in mind that it only works in the sentence directly after the actual nouns have been mentioned. Any later than that, and the reader would have trouble remembering or working out what they refer to.

So only directly after the nouns have been mentioned. I was writing answers to different questions. If I am not wrong this question is from the same book I mentioned before. The question is "Which is more important: the rights of the dead or the safety of the living people?" After the question I should also use it in the same way. Right? " The one doesn't interfere with the other".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They don't interfere with each other would work IMO.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So only directly after the nouns have been mentioned. I was writing answers to different questions. If I am not wrong, this question is from the same book I mentioned before. The question is, "Which is more important: the rights of the dead or the safety of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] living people?"

That's the book's mistake, not yours. It should either be "the safety of the living" or "the safety of living people."

After the question I should also use it in the same way. Right? " The one doesn't interfere with the other".
You used it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.