• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: The service is bad...(47 words)

I'd still say "she insisted I add money to my card".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think that is still too strong a word to use by a retail establishment on a customer.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It depends. If she was refusing to serve him unless he topped up his card, then she was insisting. Retail establishments are within their rights to insist on all sorts of things from their customers.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. I reported this thread to our mod team, hoping to have it deleted but it is still here. I am not saying that TEDMC is wrong but I just don't understand why "....which is terrible", "aggravate the situation" is wrong. But it doesn't matter.

Here are more context about why it felt like she was putting a gun to head. She is the new manager of that restaurant and that kind of easy-going people who's so easy-going that she forgot we were first met. We chatted with each other and then a few days later she forced me to add money to my card. I still remember if was five months ago, at that time the epidemic in China has been under control. But after four months of no customers adding money to the restaurant membership card, a new manager who's under great pressure needed to do something. I think that was her reason to force me.

But I didn't like the way she communicated with me so I added money to another manager of another shop, the whole system is same so it doesn't matter if I add here or elsewhere. Then this woman knew and she blacklisted me on the phone and then asked me like my parents did "Why didn't you tell me you added money elsewhere?" I said "I didn't promise you I would add money in your restaurant and was it wrong to do it elsewhere"?

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    She made me feel like she was holding a gun to my head.
    Thanks for that. You made me laugh.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. I reported this thread to our mod team, hoping to have it deleted but it is still here. I am not saying that TEDMC is wrong but I just don't understand why "....which is terrible", "aggravate the situation" is wrong. But it doesn't matter.

Here is more context about why it felt like she was putting a gun to my head. She is the new manager of that restaurant and that kind of easy-going person who's so easy-going that she forgot when we first met. We chatted with each other, and then a few days later she forced me to add money to my card. I still remember that it was five months ago. Since that time the epidemic in China has been under control. But after four months of no customers adding money to the restaurant membership card, a new manager who's under great pressure needed to do something. I think that was her reason to force me.

But I didn't like the way she talked to me, so I added money to another manager of another shop, the whole system is same so it doesn't matter if I add here or elsewhere. Then this woman knew and she blacklisted me on the phone and then asked me like my parents did "Why didn't you tell me you added money elsewhere?" I said "I didn't promise you I would add money in your restaurant and was it wrong to do it elsewhere"?
    There are some things I don't understand. For example, how could she force you to add money to your membership card?

Here there are private clubs where you might have to have a membership. Other than that people pay for their meals with cash, a debit card, or a credit card.

They can't force you to do anything. (They certainly can't force you to top up (whatever that is).)
    Not a professional teacher

7. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I just don't understand why "....which is terrible", "aggravate the situation" is wrong.

1. I don't like the service there, which is horrible.
    2. I don't like the service there. It is horrible.

No. 1 is not wrong but I thought it is better to separate it into two sentences as in No.2.

But what aggravates the situation makes it worse is that the manager there is very
    forceful pushy.

The original is not wrong but I thought it could be improved.

I would let the teachers comment. Queries/questions on my suggested editing are always welcome.
    Last edited by tedmc; 12-Oct-2020 at 03:00.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    1. I don't like the service there, which is horrible.
    2. I don't like the service there. It is horrible.

No. 1 is not wrong but I thought it is better to separate it into two sentences as in No.2.

But what aggravates the situation makes it worse is that the manager there is very
    forceful[I] pushy.

The original is not wrong but I thought it could be improved.

I will let the teachers comment.
    Two things. One, I don't like the first one at all. Two, your suggestions are quite good.

Silver, I do not have a perfect memory. (Who does?)
    Not a professional teacher

9. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    There are some things I don't understand. For example, how could she force you to add money to your membership card?

Here there are private clubs where you might have to have a membership. Other than that people pay for their meals with cash, a debit card, or a credit card.

They can't force you to do anything. (They certainly can't force you to top up (whatever that is).)
    You should ask the woman why she did so, Tarheel. She didn't put a gun to my head, but what she did make me feel really uncomfortable. I believe you surely experienced unpleasant things in your life, and if you still remember the feeling, then you can understand why I wasn't happy with that.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. I reported this thread to our mod team, hoping to have it deleted but it is still here.
    It is still here because lots of members have taken the time and trouble to try and help you. Deleting the thread would mean all that time had been wasted. Other learners might well benefit from the responses. We rarely delete threads that contain useful information. We can close this thread if you want us to.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last