Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does "adoring credence" here mean?

Suppose, for instance, that we collect many such histories, recorded on first-hand evidence in our critical age; and suppose that all these narratives break down on analysis; that they can all be traced to hallucination, misdescription, and other persistent sources of error; can we then expect reasonable men to believe that this marvellous phenomenon, always vanishing into nothingness when closely scrutinized in a modern English scene, must yet compel adoring credence when alleged to have occurred in an Oriental country, and in a remote and superstitious age? Had the results (in short) of " Research" been purely negative, would not Christian evidence—I do not say Christian emotion, but Christian evidence —have received an overwhelming blow?

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "adoring credence" here mean?

Suppose, for instance, that we collect many such histories, recorded on first-hand evidence in our critical age; and suppose that all these narratives break down on analysis; that they can all be traced to hallucination, misdescription, and other persistent sources of error; can we then expect reasonable men to believe that this marvellous phenomenon, always vanishing into nothingness when closely scrutinized in a modern English scene, must yet compel adoring credence when alleged to have occurred in an Oriental country, and in a remote and superstitious age? Had the results (in short) of " Research" been purely negative, would not Christian evidence—I do not say Christian emotion, but Christian evidence —have received an overwhelming blow?

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
I thought you were done with that book!

It means avid appreciation, enthusiastic belief, unqualified acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.