Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello!! I intend to send an email to some universities in Australia, but I don’t know if it is correct. I took a template to write this email and adapted it. I would appreciate some tips and suggestions.
Thanks in advance!! ;)

Dear Sir or Madam,

This is to request more information about the entry requirements for (name of the university). I am currently in my second year of high school in Brazil and I recently discovered I can not apply to Australian universities without completing the high school and a foundation course. For this situation, I would like to know if there is another way I can apply to (name of university) without a foundation course. Would complete the first year of an undergraduate course in Brazil being an option?

Thank you in advance for your attention to my request. I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerely, (name).

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear Sir/Madam

Enquiry on Entry Requirements into XXX University

I wish to enquire about the entry requirements into XXX university. I am currently in my second year of high school in Brazil (1). I found out that I cannot apply to Australian universities without completing high school and a foundation (2) course. I have two questions:

1. Is there another way I can apply to (name of university) without going through a foundation course?

2. Would completing the first year of an undergraduate course in Brazil be acceptable for entry?

Thank you in for looking into my enquiries. I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerely,
xxxx

(1) What is the second year of high school in Brazil equivalent to in Australia? Year 12/Pre-U/A Levels in the UK?
(2) What foundation course are you talking about?

MariaClara22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thanks! It helped me a lot! About the questions:

(1) What is the second year of high school in Brazil equivalent to in Australia? Year 12/Pre-U/A Levels in the UK? In Australia, Year 12 can be the 12th or 13th year of compulsory education, but I don't know much about Year 12 in the UK. I think that the second year of high school in Brazil is equivalent to Year 10 or 11, and the third year of high school is equivalent to Year 11 or 12 in Australia.

(2) What foundation course are you talking about? I'm talking about a one-year-studies that students who haven't meet the entry requirements for a university in Australia have to take it. Thus this course can reserve a provisory vacancy for those students.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. In Australia, Year 12 is the 12th year of school, just before university. There is only one year of pre-university studies in Australia which prepare students for examinations in the different states, such as New South Wales Higher School Certificate, Victoria HSC, South Australian Matriculation (SAM) and Australian Matriculation of Western Australia (AUSMAT). It is shorter than in UK where the pre-university course called A Level takes two years to complete after 0-Levels (same as in Malaysia, which is based on the British system).

2. Some universities in Australia offer their own foundation courses which are equivalent to Year 12 of the schools (it is not called college), such as Monash Foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.