Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does "He" refer to "God" or does it refer to "Jesus Christ"? Does "His" refer to "God" or does it refer to "Jesus Christ"?

Men tell me I despise Jesus of Nazareth. I will trust His judgment rather than theirs, but I think I know His life more intimately than any Christian can. There is no soul in history that I hold in higher esteem. I hate the false and misleading place in which He has been put by folks who are no more able to understand Him than they are to read Egyptian hieroglyphics, but I love the man. I owe Him much, and He has much to teach the world which the world can never learn until they take Him from the pedestal of worship and idolatry, and walk with Him in the garden. It may be said that my reading of His life is "naturalistic." I am content that it should be so. There is nothing more divine than the laws which govern life. The God who laid down such laws made them sufficient for all His purposes and has no need to supersede them. The God who controls earthly processes is the same as He who controls the processes of spiritual life.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The antecedent for those is "the God who laid down such laws" and "The God who controls earthly processes."

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The antecedent for those is "the God who laid down such laws" and "The God who controls earthly processes."

so, they both refer to "God".

Thanks.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
so, they both refer to "God".
Yes. I'm no theologian, but I'm pretty sure that in many Christian contexts "Jesus" and "God" refer to the same being.

Status
Not open for further replies.