Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I know you are trying to say that Yoyo is good at organizing things but I think that's hardly relevant to an MBA.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: A Student of MBA

Tedmc, I had thought the intention of your remark was simply to encourage me on this language-learning forum. I didn't know you really meant it until I read your latest response.

Of course, I still think the remark of yours also implies encouragement. :-D

Yes. He meant to encourage you. (I think you are making steady progress.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

You don't 'pass' IELTS. Every candidate who takes the test is awarded a score, from 1 (non-user) to 9 (expert user).

Okay, I understand there are three components to IELTS - speaking, listening and writing.
Out of curiosity, what score would you give for tree123's writing?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

I am not sure whether you are asking about the correctness of the word need or the statement about tree123's English. If it is the former, it [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] should have been needs of course - a very basic mistake I still overlook.
It's called subject-verb agreement.

The standard of a person's language is relative of course, as it depends on who or which group you are comparing it with.
Native speakers is always a safe bet.

Given the environment and circumstances in which English is taught and learned in China, I would say tree123's English is better than that of a lot of graduates,

The language is taught as a [STRIKE]single[/STRIKE] subject in school, but it is not used much outside schools or universities
Tree123 is able to communicate quite clearly in the language, though there are issues with her grammar and the writing could be more natural

She probably tends to still think in Chinese when she writes in English.
That has nothing to do with success in IELTS.

But I guess it is good enough to pass the IELTS (the teachers here who have experience with IELTS would know better).
When it comes to IELTS, I have plenty of experience. As Piscean has pointed out, you do not "pass" IELTS. It is a skills-oriented test.

Status
Not open for further replies.