• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

An MBA Student

It's getting cold. Yoyo would like to have hotpot for dinner, but there's nothing in his refrigerator.

He calls his friend Peter 'Bro, let's have hotpot dinner tonight in my home after you work off. By the way, don't forget to buy some mutton on your way'.

Peter agrees.

After that, Yoyo calls other friends of his, and invites them to have hotpot dinner together in his home. He asks Mary to bring some vegetable, and Mike to buy hotpot seasoning.

Then, he is cooking a pot of water waiting the arrivals of his friends.

Yoyo must be a student of MBA!

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: A Student of MBA

Quote Originally Posted by tree123 View Post
    It's getting cold. Yoyo would like to have hotpot for dinner, but there's nothing in his refrigerator.

He calls his friend Peter and says 'Bro, let's have hotpot for dinner tonight in at my home after you get off work. off. By the way, don't forget to buy some mutton on your way'.

Peter agrees.

After that, Yoyo calls other friends of his, and invites them to have hotpot for dinner together in at his home. He asks Mary to bring some vegetables, and Mike to buy hotpot seasoning.

Then, he is cooking heats/boils a pot of water while awaiting the arrivals arrival of his friends.

See above.

Note that I have left "at his home" even though it's not a natural way to express it for most native speakers. We'd say "Do you want to come to mine for dinner?" or "Do you fancy dinner at my place?" or something similar.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Do you mean MBA students are exploitative?
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I left the final sentence as it was because I assumed I was just missing some sort of in-joke about MBA students.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    No, not at all. I comment on Yoyo positively. He is very good at organizing and assigning jobs to other people. I admire. I don't write his friends are unhappy with him. The skill of organizing is much valuable.

That's the value of a genuine manager. Yet, not all managers know how to manage. Some managers just bury themselves in their tasks; some managers just do the jobs which belong to their underlings.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

No, not at all. I commented on Yoyo positively. He is very good at organizing and assigning jobs to other people. I admire him. I don't write didn't say his friends are were unhappy with him. The skill of organizing is much very valuable.

That's the value of a genuine manager no full stop here yet no comma here not all managers know how to manage. Some managers just bury themselves in their tasks; some managers just do the jobs which belong to should be/are the responsibility of their underlings.
    See above.

7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I don't think I've explained that clearly.

You might feel Yoyo was trying to exploit his friends. When I wrote the story, the background in my mind was Yoyo has been helping his friends all the time. He might treat them for dinner many times. His friends would not mind to do so for him. They would be happy to get together for dinner. Mutton, vegetables and seasoning are not expensive. Yoyo calls Peter Bro which means they are really very close friends.

8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Yoyo had no food in his fridge to cook but he wanted to invite his friends to his place for a hotpot dinner. He asked his friends to bring an ingredient each for the hotpot but his part as host is only to boil a pot of water. He seems to me like exploiting his friends, since you linked that to him being an MBA student.

-would not mind to do doing
    -calls Peter "Bro".
    Last edited by tedmc; 12-Oct-2020 at 03:26.

9. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Yoyo has no food in his fridge to cook but he wanted to invite his friends to his place for a hotpot dinner. He asked his friends to bring an ingredient each for the hotpot but his part as host is only to boil a pot of water. He seems to me like exploiting his friends, and you linked that to him being an MBA student.

-would not mind to do doing
    -calls Peter "Bro".
    I've understood. He was being funny and playful with his friends only in my mind. I forgot to state this was just a story. It didn't happen in reality.

I have been trying to write as short as possible, so I won't make you and others go through my long texts which are clumsy and boring, and spend too much time on proofreading them for me each time. In such a short text, it's out of my capacity to write it clearly so far.

Thank you very much for your question and correction, and let me know what you think about, so that I can know my words would possibly cause different interpretations. I'm glad to clarify this. This will help me in improving my *writing and communication.

I'm very grateful for emsr2d2's help too.

P.S. *I am not very interested in writing. I write just for improving my English mostly. I hope my Engilsh can reach a passable level.
    Last edited by tree123; 12-Oct-2020 at 02:01.

10. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I've understood. He was being funny and playful with his friends only in my mind. I forgot to state this was just a story. It didn't happen in reality.

I have been trying to write as short as possible, so I won't make you and others go through my long texts which are clumsy and boring, and spend too much time on proofreading them for me each time. In such a short text, it's out of my capacity to write it clearly so far.

Thank you very much for your question and correction, and let me know what you think about, so that I can know my words would possibly cause different interpretations. be interpreted differently. I'm glad to clarify this. This will help me in improving my *writing and communication.

I'm very grateful for to emsr2d2's help too.

P.S. *I am not very interested in writing. I write just for improving to improve my English mostly. I hope my Engilsh can reach a passable level.

I think you are doing very well, being able to express your thoughts and ideas clearly. Your English just needs some polishing.

Last edited by tedmc; 12-Oct-2020 at 04:48.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last