• Current Location:
      • Greece

Air defence versus Home defence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aircraft_warfare
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_defense
    versus
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defense
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Defence_Executive

It is fair to say that homes are very difficult to kill, they are resilient to all kinds of attacks. Especially butting a raging home made out of concrete it's outright suicide.

I love the English language.

2. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Air defence versus Home defence

In the phrase "Home Defence Executive", "home" doesn't mean "house". It means "homeland".
    I am not a teacher.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Homes aren't particularly resilient. They can easily be destroyed just by blast shock-waves - just watch some videos of the explosion and aftermath of the Beirut fertilizer explosion back in August.

As for more solid concrete structure - old WW II bunker busters could penetrate up to 14 feet of reinforced concrete with perfect drop (although that was under optimal drop conditions. Modern ones will penetrate 2 meters of reinforced concrete easily without requiring such pristine drop conditions.

There there's this bad boy in the works - able to penetrate up to 200 feet underground. So you're not even safe in a cave...
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

4. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    Homes aren't particularly resilient. They can easily be destroyed just by blast shock-waves - just watch some videos of the explosion and aftermath of the Beirut fertilizer explosion back in August.

As for more solid concrete structure - old WW II bunker busters could penetrate up to 14 feet of reinforced concrete with perfect drop (although that was under optimal drop conditions. Modern ones will penetrate 2 meters of reinforced concrete easily without requiring such pristine drop conditions.

There there's this bad boy in the works - able to penetrate up to 200 feet underground. So you're not even safe in a cave...
    The WW2 bombs weren't meant to penetrate concrete at all, they were supposed to penetrate the ground beside the bunker and destroy it from underneath. I recommend Paul Brickhill's book The Dam Busters, now out of print but available on Kindle.
    Retired magazine editor and native British English speaker - not a teacher

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by twolivesbehindschedule View Post
    . . . It is fair to say that houses are very difficult to kill. They are resilient to all kinds of attacks, epecially bombing a house made out of concrete. It's outright suicide. . . .
    A house is not a home.

And as you see in post #2, the writer wasn't talking about houses, anyway.

What did you mean by "raging home"?
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 13-Oct-2020 at 14:04.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Arthur "Bomber" Harris, the head of Bomber Command in World War II, said that the destruction of homes and the creation of waves of refugees was not a side-effect of the bombing of factories- it was baked into the DNA of the carpet bombing of cities. Coventry was subjected to a fierce bombing. Harris saw that the bombers had failed because they did not burn the city to the ground. He saw why - it was a technical issue to do with the size of bomber aircraft - and set about burning German cities to the ground. The destruction rained down on Hamburg and Tokyo goes against your theory. They generated a firestorm in Hamburg that raged half a kilometre into the sky, with technology from the 1940s. They can probably do worse today.

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    . . . They generated a firestorm in Hamburg that raged half a kilometre into the sky, with technology from the 1940s. They can probably do worse today.
    That has to be the understatement of the century.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.