Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Can I say there is a correlation between "generation gap" and "family history"?

Does this work?

I think knowing about family history can help alleviate some of the problems that are caused by the generation gap in a family.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first half is OK. I'm not keen on that use of "generation gap". There is, of course, a gap between the generations in every family! We tend to use "generation gap" to refer to society in general, not to single families.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The first half is OK. I'm not keen on that use of "generation gap". There is, of course, a gap between the generations in every family! We tend to use "generation gap" to refer to society in general, not to single families.

Okay. What about this?

I think knowing about family history can help alleviate some of the problems that are caused by the generation gap in families.
I want to make a correlation between family history and generation gap if possible.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We tend to use "generation gap" to refer to society in general, not to single families.

Okay. What about this?

I think knowing about family history can help alleviate some of the problems that are caused by the generation gap in families.
Given that I just told you that we don't generally refer to the generation gap in families, why did you use it again in your new attempt? (In case it wasn't clear, when I said "single families", I was referring to any/all families.)

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Given that I just told you that we don't generally refer to the generation gap in families, why did you use it again in your new attempt? (In case it wasn't clear, when I said "single families", I was referring to any/all families.)

Sorry. I misunderstood. So, is there no way I can make it work? What if I change family to society?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this at all. Are you trying to suggest that learning some family history can help to bring the different generations of a family together?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this at all. Are you trying to suggest that learning some family history can help to bring the different generations of a family together?

By learning the family history, one can understand their previous generations better. And this can reduce some of the problems that are caused by a lack of understanding.

I was thinking about using generation gap or generation conflict.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How can I make a correlation between family history and generation gap?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't really think of a way. The generation gap is something that refers to an entire population. Family history is limited to the genealogy of the family involved.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How can I make a correlation between family history and generation gap?
What Ems means is that generation gap doesn't fit this context. The phrase exists, but that's not how we use it.

What you want to say is that that learning family history can help people solve misunderstandings between generations.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about: Learning family history helps the different generations understand each other better thereby bringing them closer?

The generation gap is not applicable to a particular family but is a general problem in a society.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I can't really think of a way. The generation gap is something that refers to an entire population. Family history is limited to the genealogy of the family involved.

How about: Learning family history helps the different generations understand each other better thereby bringing them closer?

The generation gap is not applicable to a particular family but is a general problem in a society.

Maybe tedmc will have better luck than I did, by basically just paraphrasing everything I said in four previous posts.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Maybe tedmc will have better luck than I did, by basically just paraphrasing everything I said in four previous posts.

Please rest assured that I have completely scrapped the idea of using generation gap and family history in the same context.;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We got there in the end. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.