Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am learning diagramming. I searched a lot for this, but could not find it on google. How do I diagram this sentence, for example: My dog and cat are white. My is modifying dog and cat. I do not want to put two 'My' in the diagram ...

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please correct your profile information.

krishnap

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I am learning diagramming. I searched a lot for this, but could not find it on google. How do I diagram this sentence, for example: My dog and cat are white. My is modifying dog and cat. I do not want to put two 'My' in the diagram ...

My dog and cat are white.

"My" is a genitive (possessive) pronoun functioning as determiner. It determines the noun phrase "my dog and cat", functioning as subject. "Are white" is a verb phrase functioning as predicate.

The nominal consists of a coordination of the two nouns "dog" and "cat". Each coordinate has the label 'coordinate - noun' assigned to it, linked by the coordinator "and".

My [dog and cat] are white. (the bracketed bit is the nominal)

The adjective phrase "white" is the subjective predicative complement of "be".

Last edited:

krishnap

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why do you want to omit the determiner "my" from the tree?

I do not want to omit "my". But I want to use only one "my". I do not want to put a "my" under dog and another "my" under cat. How do I diagram with only one "my" in the tree?

My son is learning online, and the teacher usually counts the number of words in the sentence and the tree, and the numbers match. In this case, the teacher went ahead and put "my" under dog and "my" under cat, and did not explain why the numbers don't match. He just mentioned that this is one way to do it. I am trying to find out what is the other way to do it where the numbers do match.

krishnap

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"My" is a genitive (possessive) pronoun. "My dog and cat" is a noun phrase functioning as subject.

The nominal consists of a coordination of the two nouns "dog" and "cat". Each coordinate has the label 'coordinate - noun' assigned to it, linked by the coordinator "and".

My [dog and cat] are white. (the bracketed bit is the nominal)

The noun phrase "my dog and cat" is the subject and "are white" is the verb phrase predicate.

The noun phrase "white" is the subjective predicative complement of "be".

How do you diagram it?
line with dog, line with cat joined by a fork and by a dotted line with 'and'.
my can go on a slanted line under dog AND my can go on a slanted line under cat
but if I want to use only one "my" in the diagram, how do i do it?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I do not want to omit "my". But I want to use only one "my". I do not want to put a "my" under dog and another "my" under cat. How do I diagram with only one "my" in the tree?

My son is learning online, and the teacher usually counts the number of words in the sentence and the tree, and the numbers match. In this case, the teacher went ahead and put "my" under dog and "my" under cat, and did not explain why the numbers don't match. He just mentioned that this is one way to do it. I am trying to find out what is the other way to do it where the numbers do match.

You posted this while I was still typing my answer. Please read my edited answer.

I don't know what you mean by the numbers matching / not matching.

You don't need two "mys".

I don't recognise the kind of diagram you describe. I thought you wanted a conventional parse that could be used in a tree diagram.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do not want to put two 'My' in the diagram ...

NOT A TEACHER

Krishnap, when you use the word "diagram," are you referring to the Reed-Kellogg system of diagramming? The one in which you draw vertical and horizontal lines? If you are, hopefully someone who knows that system will post the diagram. I know a little about that system, but I do not know how to post diagrams. So I shall just use words. Of course, a picture [diagram] is worth a thousand words.

1. You write the word "dog" on a short horizontal line.
2. Under that horizontal line, draw another short horizontal line with "cat."
3. You connect those two horizontal lines with the word "and." (I assume that you know how to do that. I cannot explain how to do so in words.)
4. You then draw a long horizontal line. Under that line, you draw a short slanted line with the word "my" on it.

Congratulations on learning diagramming. Although almost all teachers nowadays think that the Reed-Kellogg diagramming system is a waste of time and does not help the student learn English, I respectfully disagree. (At the university, tree diagrams are used in linguistic classes.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"My" is a genitive (possessive) pronoun functioning as determiner.

How is my a pronoun? Surely that's not right?

The noun phrase "white" is the subjective predicative complement of "be".

What reason do you have for thinking white is a noun phrase as opposed to an adjective phrase?

krishnap

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Krishnap, when you use the word "diagram," are you referring to the Reed-Kellogg system of diagramming? The one in which you draw vertical and horizontal lines? If you are, hopefully someone who knows that system will post the diagram. I know a little about that system, but I do not know how to post diagrams. So I shall just use words. Of course, a picture [diagram] is worth a thousand words.

1. You write the word "dog" on a short horizontal line.
2. Under that horizontal line, draw another short horizontal line with "cat."
3. You connect those two horizontal lines with the word "and." (I assume that you know how to do that. I cannot explain how to do so in words.)
4. You then draw a long horizontal line. Under that line, you draw a short slanted line with the word "my" on it.

Congratulations on learning diagramming. Although almost all teachers nowadays think that the Reed-Kellogg diagramming system is a waste of time and does not help the student learn English, I respectfully disagree. (At the university, tree diagrams are used in linguistic classes.)

Thanks.
the horizontal line you mention in bullet 4 must somehow be connected to the simple subjects (dog/cat), i feel. how is that done?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
How is my a pronoun? Surely that's not right?

What reason do you have for thinking white is a noun phrase as opposed to an adjective phrase?

"My" is a genitive personal pronoun. What else could it be?

"White" is of course an adjective, not a noun. I've corrected my slip.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"My" is a genitive personal pronoun.

Would you mind explaining this, please?

I thought a pronoun must be able to substitute for a noun phrase. Is that not the definition of what a pronoun is?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
A determinative?

No: Its function is determiner, but its word class (part of speech) is pronoun.

They are pronouns because all except "he" and "it" exhibit a distinction between dependent (my", "your" etc.) and independent forms ("mine", "yours" etc.) that is found only in personal pronouns (and the determinative "no")

"My", "your" etc. are called 'dependent' forms because they require a following noun, while "mine", "yours" etc, are the 'independent' forms, which can of course occur alone.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No: Its function is determiner, but its word class (part of speech) is pronoun.

But my question is why anyone would class it as a pronoun. Is it because it can substitute for another noun (e.g. John's)?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They are pronouns because all except "he" and "it" exhibit a distinction between dependent (my", "your" etc.) and independent forms ("mine", "yours" etc.) that is found only in the personal pronouns (and the determinative "no")

Okay, I hadn't seen this part when I made my last post.

I'm not sure I follow. So what are the dependent/independent forms of the personal pronouns?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
But my question is why anyone would class it as a pronoun. Is it because it can substitute for another noun (e.g. John's)?

I've just edited by last answer to address that question.

And of course they inflect for person (and gender in 3rd sing) which is typical of personal pronouns.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks.
the horizontal line you mention in bullet 4 must somehow be connected to the simple subjects (dog/cat), i feel. how is that done?

NOT A TEACHER

It is impossible for me to describe the process in words. But I have just remembered a website that gives hundreds of example diagrams. I think that you will find the answer among all the examples. Just google these words: german latin english.com (I do not know how to link. Sorry.)

I am so glad that you are learning Reed-Kellogg!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
May I ask two more questions to you, PaulMatthews?

1) EFL teachers tend to include 'determiner' as a part of speech. Is it fair to say that most schools of grammar do not do that?

2) What part of speech is, say, the word this? Is it also seen as a pronoun, but with identical dependent and independent forms. How about articles? What part of speech is the word the?

(Apologies to the OP and anyone else following this thread for my sidetracking.)

Status
Not open for further replies.