Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When pronouncing "what the data say", how do you transfer from "what" to "the"? /wɒt/- /ðə/ - from "t" to "ð" there seems to be some difficulty to sound both clearly.

================

Face masks: what the data say
The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?

Source: Nature 06 OCTOBER 2020
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We don't release the /t/.

Does it mena /t/ can be omitted? Or does it mean /t/ is still there for a very, very short time?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It means that the tongue stops the airflow from the lungs at the alveolar ridge, but is not released until the onset of the /ðə/. The explosive /t/ that we hear in, for example, 'letter' is not heard.

I understand "not released until the onset of the /ðə/" as "not released until the onset of the /ðə/ - at this moment, /t/ and /ð/ will be released at the same time."

So it sounds more difficult to pronounce: How could /t/ and /ð/ be sounded at the same time? When I pronounced "what the data say" slowly, Google recognized my voice with 100% accuracy. When I read it aloud fast, it fails to discern it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
/ð/ is a voiced phoneme. The preceding /t/ stops the flow of air, which resumes when you pronounce the /ð/. It's not difficult for a native speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.