Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Can I use the verb "trundle" to talk about a tank? Or is it just used for something which has "wheels"?

What about "screech"?

What do you think about this?

The massive tank slowly trundled through the small village, making a screech that disturbed the entire village.

Also, what can I add to disturb to intensify it a bit?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's good.

Instead of disturbed, you might use:

- woke up
- awakened
- alarmed
- annoyed
- dismayed
- galvanized
- alerted
- terrified
- perplexed
- confounded
- agitated
- peeved

And I'd only use village once.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's good.

Instead of disturbed, you might use:

- woke up
- awakened
- alarmed
- annoyed
- dismayed
- galvanized
- alerted
- terrified
- perplexed
- confounded
- agitated
- peeved

And I'd only use village once.

I checked the thesaurus but couldn't find a synonym for village. Things like rural area and countryside obviously don't work here.

The massive tank slowly trundled through the only street there, making a screech that disturbed the entire sleepy village.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course, you could just substitute something like town or hamlet or settlement.

But you don't have to.

There's a poker game called Seven Card Roll 'Em. Each player's cards are all face-down. You arrange your seven, as a friend of mine says, "for maximum entertainment value."

Then, in turn, each player turns one card face-up. The play goes around and around the table until a winning hand is revealed.

Writing is like that. You don't show all your cards at once. You roll them over one at a time until the story is revealed. It's obvious in movie-making, right? One shot follows another follows another, and you experience the story one shot at a time.

But it's important in any writing. So what if you just said something like:

- The massive tank slowly trundled down the narrow street, making a screech that disturbed the entire village.

- The massive tank slowly trundled through the town square, making a screech that disturbed the entire village.

- The massive tank slowly trundled out of the wheat field and onto the main road, making a screech that disturbed the entire village.

Or you could do something at the other end:

- The massive tank slowly trundled through the small village, making a screech that could be heard for miles.

- The massive tank slowly trundled through the small village, making a screech that aroused the citizens.

The point is, you you don't have to show every card in every sentence — which is good, because you can't.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know tanks made screeching sounds.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I didn't know tanks made screeching sounds.

How would you describe the annoying sound that the movement of tanks make? What words would you use?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How would you describe the annoying sound that the movement of tanks makes? What words would you use?

Well, I saw Patton. It was awhile back tho. And I didn't get that close to the tanks.
:)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Rumbling sound?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It might be "Ker-Blam" when they fire. The OP is talking, I believe, about the horrible scraping/screeching sound the tank's caterpillar tracks make against concrete/tarmac as they move along a paved street.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It might be "Ker-Blam" when they fire. The OP is talking, I believe, about the horrible scraping/screeching sound the tank's caterpillar tracks make against concrete/tarmac as they move along a paved street.

Yes. I mean that. So, I would assume screech is the correct word since you used it.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would associate "screeching" with a sharp, piercing noise as in hard braking. The noise made by moving tanks is different.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course!

It just had to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.