Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi, my name is Danny Plooy, and I am looking for some advice on how to teach sociolinguistics in a general secondary education classroom.
If you have any experience with teaching sociolinguistics, or incorporating it into general basic speaking lessons (A2 CEFR-level) then please let me know. Any and all input is welcome and will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You teach sociolinguistics at secondary school level over there in Holland? To A2 level kids? Wow.

What exactly is it that you want them to learn? Don't you have a syllabus?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you want to look at the cultural norms, etc, of English, or your students' society?

Dannyplooy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
We don't actually use a syllabus, it is mostly based on exam reform. The students will be tested on their ability to use the correct language for different situations. They need to be made aware of their language use when speaking to a superior (a boss or department head) and a colleague. But also when dealing with customers for instance.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The students will be tested on their ability to use the correct language for different situations.

Yes, good. That should be par for any language course.

They need to be made aware of their language use when speaking to a superior (a boss or department head) and a colleague. But also when dealing with customers for instance.

Yes, absolutely. This is all quite normal.

Your aim then isn't to teach them sociolinguistics, but to teach them English. Feel free to ask us for any specific advice about that.

We don't actually use a syllabus, it is mostly based on exam reform.

I don't know what that means. Do you mean that the aim of the course is to help the students pass a certain exam?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Which exam and which reform?

Status
Not open for further replies.