Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear Dr. XXXXX,

My name is XXXX XXXXX (Chi, from Hong Kong). I was fortunate enough to take three courses with you: Numerical Analysis, Applied Statistics and Probability (I earned an A in each course). You may remember me coming to your office hours to ask for advice on how to improve my essays, and I really value and appreciate how you have helped me grow as a student and cultivated my interest in teaching Math.

I know you are busy, so I will get to the point. I am writing to ask if you would be willing and able to support my graduate school application with a strong letter of reference that attests to my academic ability and research potential at the graduate level.

I am applying to san Francisco State University for admission into the Math MA program, and the deadline for the letter of reference is January 15, 2021. If you can do this for me, I will follow up with details on how to submit the letter.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this request and for your consideration. I also want to thank you for everything I have learned under your instruction. The things I have learned from you truly help me become a better Math teacher, and I cannot be grateful enough.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Best regards,
XXXX XXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Dr. XXXXX,

My name is XXXX XXXXX (Chi, from Hong Kong). I was fortunate enough to take three courses with you: Numerical Analysis, Applied Statistics and Probability (I earned an A in each course). You may remember me coming to your office [STRIKE]hours[/STRIKE] to ask for advice on how to improve my essays, and I really value and appreciate how you have helped me grow as a student and cultivated my interest in teaching math.

I know you are busy, so I will get to the point. I am writing to ask if you would be willing and able to support my graduate school application with a strong letter of reference that attests to my academic ability and research potential at the graduate level.

I am applying to San Francisco State University for admission into the Math MA program, and the deadline for the letter of reference is January 15, 2021. If you can do this for me, I will follow up with details on how to submit the letter.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this request and for your consideration. I also want to thank you for everything I have learned under your instruction. The things I have learned from you truly help me become a better math teacher, and I cannot be grateful enough.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Best regards,
XXXX XXXXX

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think the term "strong" is appropriate in paragraph two.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How is that essays are involved in maths subjects?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That's rather off topic.

It is relevant because the writer said he took three maths subjects/courses but went to his lecturer for advice with essays.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is relevant because the writer said he took three maths subjects/courses but went to his lecturer for advice with essays.

A quick Google search tells me that it is entirely necessary to write essays as part of maths courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.