Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Re: Slept throughout the class/ through the entire class.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Yes. You get it!
    Thank you very much once again. I have a little confusions. You said:
    "Throughout would be wrong. If you go from one end or side of something to the other, you go through it not throughout it."
    "Use throughout to say that something is or isn't frequent or widespread."

I think I heard a native speaker say:
    "I feel fresh and energetic throughout the day."
    I wonder why she said 'throughout' and not 'through.'

If this sentence is correct then do I say:
    I've had a headache throughout/through the day.

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful Haque View Post
    Thank you very much once again. I'm a little confused. You said:
    "Throughout would be wrong. If you go from one end or side of something to the other, you go through it — not throughout it."
    "Use throughout to say that something is or isn't frequent or widespread."

I think I heard a native speaker say:
    "I feel fresh and energetic throughout the day."
    I wonder why she said 'throughout' and not 'through.'

If this sentence is correct then do I say:
    I've had a headache throughout/through the day.
    I hope I haven't confused you!

Through usually means from beginning to end. So that might be the better choice.

But Throughout usually refers to many points. So, that makes sense, too. You did have a headache from the start of the day to the end. And you did have a headache at many points during the day.

Most natural would be, "I feel fresh and energetic all day" and "I've had a headache all day."
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 21-Oct-2020 at 03:28. Reason: making a correction in the quote
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Red face Re: Slept throughout the class/ through the entire class.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I hope I haven't confused you!

Through usually means from beginning to end. So that might be the better choice.

But Throughout usually refers to many points. So, that makes sense, too. You did have a headache from the start of the day to the end. And you did have a headache at many points during the day.

Most natural would be, "I feel fresh and energetic all day" and "I've had a headache all day."
    Thank you very much. I think now I get it. I didn't read post #7 carefully at first.

All the following would mean doing something from the beginning to the end without stopping in the middle.

"I slept through the class" -Didn't wake up at all until the end of the class.
    "I feel fresh and energetic through the day" -Never feel tired until the end of the day.
    "He stood there through the entire round" -Did nothing but stood there the whole time.

And these would mean doing something at many points several times during the time mentioned.

"We'll update you on this news story throughout the day." -Updates will be given several times throughout the day.
    "He kept bothering me throughout the class." -He bothered me several time throughout the class.

Please tell me I get it.
    Last edited by Ashraful Haque; 21-Oct-2020 at 10:13. Reason: Beautification.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful Haque View Post
    Thank you very much. I think now I get it. I didn't read post #7 carefully at first.

All the following would mean doing something from the beginning to the end without stopping in the middle.

"I slept through the class" - space here Didn't wake up at all until the end of the class.
    "I feel fresh and energetic through the day" - space here Never feel tired until the end of the day. I understand why you chose "through" but it just isn't natural in this context. We'd say "all day".
    "He stood there through the entire round" - space here Did nothing but stood there the whole time.

And these would mean doing something at many points several times during the time mentioned.

"We'll update you on this news story throughout the day." - space here Updates will be given several times throughout the day.
    "He kept bothering me throughout the class." - space here He bothered me several time throughout the class.

Please tell me I get it.
    See above. I would say you've pretty much got it.

Remember to put a space on both sides of a dash. With a hyphen, don't use any spaces around it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2