Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last Tuesday Mary had a bad stomach-ache. On Wednesday she went to the doctor because she still felt ill. ‘This is very bad,’ the doctor said. ‘I want you to stay in bed for the next two days.’ Mary was sad because her favourite class, Science, was on Friday. She loved Science!
On Friday night Mary’s friends, Paul, visited her. ‘There’s a science test at 3p.m. on Monday,’ he said. Mary studied for the test on Sunday afternoon. When she went to school on Monday, Paul laughed at her. ‘There isn’t going to be a test today! It was a joke!’ But in the afternoon their science teacher said, ‘Close your books. We’re going to have a test now.’

(Test book 5 for Kid’s Box 5, Cambridge University Press)

I have three questions about this passage.

1.She loved Science! I wonder why the writes uses the past simple not the the present simple. I think Mary still loves Science.

2.It was a joke! I’d like to know if this sentence could be rewritten as this: It is a joke! I think it’s still a joke.

3.But in the afternoon their science teacher said... I wonder if the ‘in the afternoon’ should be ‘on the afternoon’ because it’s a specific afternoon, the afternoon of the Monday.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last Tuesday Mary had a bad stomach-ache. On Wednesday she went to the doctor because she still felt ill. ‘This is very bad,’ the doctor said. ‘I want you to stay in bed for the next two days.’ Mary was sad because her favourite class, science, was on Friday. She loved science!
On Friday night Mary’s friend, Paul, visited her. ‘There’s a science test at 3p.m. on Monday,’ he said. Mary studied for the test on Sunday afternoon. When she went to school on Monday, Paul laughed at her. ‘There isn’t going to be a test today! It was a joke!’ But in the afternoon their science teacher said, ‘Close your books. We’re going to have a test now.’

(Test book 5 for Kid’s Box 5, Cambridge University Press)

I have three questions about this passage.

1.She loved science! I wonder why the writer uses the past simple not the the present simple.

Because the story is in the past.

I think Mary still loves science.

She might. the story hasn't brought us into the present.

2.It was a joke! I’d like to know if this sentence could be rewritten as this: It is a joke! I think it’s still a joke.

No. Again the story is being told in the past tense. The joke happened then.

3.But in the afternoon their science teacher said... I wonder if the ‘in the afternoon’ should be ‘on the afternoon’ because it’s a specific afternoon, the afternoon of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] Monday.

It's correct as written. When we describe the time of day, we use in: in the evening, in the morning, in the afternoon. When we're explaining which day, we use on. Notice that she "studied for the test on Sunday afternoon."
Only capitalize common nouns when they begin sentences.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Using the past tense to describe something in the past does not mean it is no longer true now.

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your replies, Charlie and Tedmc.

Once I read a book, in which the very first sentence was like this: on the afternoon, Tom ran into a storm... In this context, I think the ‘on the afternoon’ refers to a specific day’s afternoon. I think ‘in the afternoon’ in #1 has the same meaning--on a specific day’s afternoon. That’s why I think that ‘in the afternoon’ should be ‘on the afternoon’ because ‘in the afternoon’ is used to talk about a general concept of time. For example, he plays football in the afternoon every day.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the difference is on the emphasis.

in the afternoon - emphasis is on the particular period of the day.
on the afternoon - emphasis is on the particular day.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your replies, Charlie and Tedmc.

Once I read a book, in which the very first sentence was like this: on the afternoon, Tom ran into a storm...

It looks like you're quoting from memory. I doubt that's exactly what it said. For example, On would have been capitalized.

In this context, I think the ‘on the afternoon’ refers to a specific day’s afternoon. I think ‘in the afternoon’ in #1 has the same meaning--on a specific day’s afternoon.

In the afternoon would be correct. On is not.

That’s why I think that ‘in the afternoon’ should be ‘on the afternoon’ because ‘in the afternoon’ is used to talk about a general concept of time.

Yes, it's clear that you think that. But in is the correct choice.

For example, he plays football in the afternoon every day.

Yes. It's correct. On would be wrong.
We're telling you what is grammatical and natural.

On the afternoon of his birthday, Tom ran into a storm is grammatical and natural.

In the afternoon, Tom ran into a storm is also grammatical and natural.

On the afternoon, Tom ran into a storm is neither.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the difference is on the emphasis.

in the afternoon - emphasis is on the particular period of the day.
on the afternoon - emphasis is on the particular day.
Exactly. Thanks!

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Using the past tense to describe something in the past does not mean it is not longer true now.

a. it is not longer true.

b. it is no longer true.

Do they mean the same thing?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last Tuesday Mary had a bad stomach-ache. On Wednesday she went to the doctor because she still felt ill. ‘This is very bad,’ the doctor said. ‘I want you to stay in bed for the next two days.’ Mary was sad because her favourite class, science, was on Friday. She loved science!
On Friday night one of Mary’s friends, Paul, visited her. ‘There’s a science test at 3p.m. on Monday,’ he said. Mary studied for the test on Sunday afternoon. When she went to school on Monday, Paul laughed [STRIKE]at her[/STRIKE]. ‘There isn’t going to be a test today! It was a joke!’ But in the afternoon their science teacher said, ‘Close your books. We’re going to have a test now.’

Please note corrections.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Using the past tense to describe something in the past does not mean it is not longer true now.

Sometimes it does. For example, It has been three years since I smoked. "I" don't smoke any longer.

Maybe it's better to say this: Using the past tense to describe something in the past does not necessarily mean it is no longer true now.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The name of the class is "Science". It's a proper noun and therefore has to be capitalized.

"Her favorite class was Science/Music/Drama."

"She rushed off, saying 'I have to get to my science class!'"

Status
Not open for further replies.