Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is the difference between "You Got Some Explaining to Do" and "You Got Some Explanation to Do"?

Since the gerund is present continuing, I get the former means "the explanation is on the way" while the latter is not restricted by the time. I am not sure.

=====================
Mark Julian Felder (born July 21, 1983), more commonly known under the simply Bizzle, is an American Christian hip hop recording artist and entrepreneur. In January 2010, Bizzle released "You Got Some Explaining to Do" directed towards Jay-Z, calling the rap icon out on his negative references towards Jesus and Christianity in his music.

Source: Bizzle - Wikipedia

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you found any examples of "some explanation to do"?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The main difference is that only 'explaining' is possible here. 'Explanation' is not possible.

Gerunds aren't continuous, because they're no longer verbs. It simply means you need to explain yourself and/or your actions.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think you can replace explaining with explanation as do does not collocate with explanation. It is either of the following:

You got some explaining to do.
You got some explanation to provide/give.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Every example you posted is wrong. I wonder if so many erroneous results isn't the result of some kind of meme, similar to "all your base are belong to us'.

Edit: Also, all but two of those links are obvious non-native speakers. One of those two I can't confirm, as it's a dead link.

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
We are not speak English good.:cry:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Google has about 212,000 results for the phrase "some explanation to do" (search with the quotation marks to restrict the results to the phrase).

And it has over five times that number for the explaining form. Always search both ways.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
May I be the first to point out that "You got" is also wrong? It should be "You've got ..." or "You have got ...". "You got" is the simple past of "You get". That's not the verb being used in this context. It's "to have got something to do".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Google has about 212,000 results for the phrase "some explanation to do" ... (search with the quotation marks to restrict the results to the phrase).
You get better answers here than you get from Google.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Desi Arnaz would exclaim, in his Cuban accent, "Luuuucy! You got some esplainin' to do!" on the I Love Lucy show from the 1950s. I imagine this wording is meant to evoke that.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the difference between "You Got Some Explaining to Do" and "You Got Some Explanation to Do"?

I think the second formulation would be possible if, in addition to changing "You got" to "You've got," we changed "do" to "make."

(Native speakers don't speak of doing explanations; we speak of making explanations.)

You've got some explanation to make.

I'm not claiming that the above is normal or usual or even particularly natural; I'm only claiming that it's possible.

In "make some explanation," "some" functions like the indefinite article (a/an). In "do some explaining," by contrast, "some" is a quantifier.

Why are you typing another post? Oh, let me guess. You've got some explanation to make.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my experience, we "give/provide" an explanation. We neither "do" nor "make" one.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my experience, we "give/provide" an explanation. We neither "do" nor "make" one.
In my experience, "give an explanation," "provide an explanation," and "make an explanation" all work.

To me, "You've got an/some explanation to make" sounds better than "You've got an/some explanation to give/provide."

However, I should be happy to make either of your substitutions in my post above.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Make an explanation" sounds weird to me. Learners should not use it.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Make an explanation" sounds weird to me. Learners should not use it.

Thus, you would advise learners that all the following examples from the Corpus of Contemporary American English are improper:

• "I remembered that I had been sent to make explanations so as to obtain Broome's release."
  • "Rif hated to make explanations. "
  • "She did not like to make explanations at parties."
  • "Third, more research related to levels of generalization understanding, such as ability to state the generalization, to use the generalization to make explanations, and to use the generalization to make predictions, is needed."
  • "Those who ultimately lose would make explanations based on this causal schema Explanations would be the same for winners and for losers at half-time, and would also be the same for winners or losers at the end of the game."
In any case, my main point in Post #14 was not that "make" collocates awesomely with "explanation"; it was that by changing "do" to a verb that is idiomatically followed by the noun "explanation," the second construction found in the OP becomes grammatically possible and, in certain special contexts, even usable, with its own very distinct meaning. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Desi Arnaz would exclaim, in his Cuban accent, "Luuuucy! You got some esplainin' to do!" on the I Love Lucy show from the 1950s. I imagine this wording is meant to evoke that.

Yes. Although I doubt the use here was meant to evoke Desi Arnaz in particular, I do think that You('ve) got some explaining to do is best treated as a fixed expression. It doesn't work with explanation, of course.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the difference between "You have got some explaining to do" and "You have got some explanation to do"?

The difference is that one is right and one is wrong.

In the US, we would usually say, "You have some explaining to do" or "You've got some explaining to do."

In your example, however, the nonstandard grammar is intentionally colloquial, so it's fine.

(And capitals are correct in a title. I corrected it as a sentence, not a title.)

Since the gerund is present continuing, I guess the former means "The explanation is on the way,"

No. We don't know whether it's on its way. Maybe an explanation is coming, and maybe it isn't.

while the latter is not restricted by the time.

It has nothing to do with time. The latter is simply wrong. Explanation is a noun, which wouldn't fit. You could say, "You owe us an explanation."

I am not sure.
Now you know!

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Google has about 212,000 results for the phrase "some explanation to do" (search with the quotation marks to restrict the results to the phrase).
Ugh!

Don't look for good grammar online! The internet will show you what people say, but many native English speakers have terrible grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.