In winter/In the winter/During winter/ During the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I would like to know which one native speakers find most natural. I was asked to talk about seasons on my IELTS practice test and I can't figure out which one I should go with. I usually say 'in the winter/summer.'

Here are some sentences from my answer:
1) It's not that cold in/in the/during/ during the winter here.
2) The temperature doesn't go below 1 or 2 degrees Celsius in/in the/during/ during the winter.
3) I like wearing track suits, jeans and caps in/in the/during/ during the winter.

I'd also like to know about 'summer.' Do we use 'summer' the same way an winter?
4) In/in the/during/ during the summer I get tired easily which makes me grumpy sometimes.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"In the winter/summer" is most natural for me.

Barman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
*I'm not a teacher*

In Winter/ Summer may be used.

Generally, no article is used before the names of seasons and festivals, though the definite article may also be found in certain general statements, e.g.,

1) Winter is the best time for picnics.

2) The first time I was in Kashmir was in the Autumn.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
*I'm not a teacher*

"In winter/summer" may be used.

Generally, no article is used before the names of seasons and festivals, though the definite article may also be found in certain general statements, e.g.,

1) Winter is the best time for picnics. (There is no definite article before the season here, even though you appear to be giving it as the first example of a general statement with the definite article.)

2) The first time I was in Kashmir was in the autumn.

There is no reason at all to capitalise the names of seasons, unless they're the first word of the sentence.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would like to know which one native speakers find most natural. I was asked to talk about seasons on my IELTS practice test and I can't figure out which one I should go with. I usually say 'in the winter/summer.'

Here are some sentences from my answer:
1) It's not that cold in/in the/during/ during the winter here.
2) The temperature doesn't go below 1 or 2 degrees Celsius in/in the/during/ during the winter.
3) I like wearing track suits, jeans and caps in/in the/during/ during the winter.

I'd also like to know about 'summer.' Do we use 'summer' the same way an winter?
4) In/in the/during/ during the summer I get tired easily which makes me grumpy sometimes.

What is natural to a native speaker isn't always what an examiner would regard as "correct".

In written English I would tend to use "during the" but in spoken English I would be just as likely to say "in the" or to drop the definite article altogether.

With regard to capitalisation, that is a common mistake by native speakers. I think somebody must have told me that it was correct during my childhood as I still have to stop and think about it when writing the name of a season.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
What is natural to a native speaker isn't always what an examiner would regard as "correct".

In written English I would tend to use "during the" but in spoken English I would be just as likely to say "in the" or to drop the definite article altogether.

With regard to capitalisation, that is a common mistake by native speakers. I think somebody must have told me that it was correct during my childhood as I still have to stop and think about it when writing the name of a season.

1) It's not that cold in winter/in the winter.
2) The temperature doesn't go below 1 or 2 degrees Celsius in winter/in the winter.
3) I like wearing track suits, jeans and caps in winter/in the winter.

- Between 'in' and 'in the' which one would you say in these sentences?
- Is it just a matter of preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.