• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Hyphen and word change question (ex: human-rights vs human rights)

Text

...........The field of international politics is, however, dominated by states and other powerful actors (such as multinational corporations) that have priorities other than human rights. It is a leading feature of the human-rights field that the governments of the world (A) proclaim ( argue ) human rights but have a variable record of implementing (B) human-rights. .............

1. In the paragraph above, (A) proclaim is very natural. What I want to know is whether “argue” can be used instead of ‘proclaim’.

2. In the paragraph above, you can see “human rights” and “human-rights field”. In “human-rights field”, “is ”human-rights“ adjective or noun?

3. In (B), what do you think “human-rights? one teacher said that because ”human-rights“ is an adjective, (B) is wrong. He said that it cannot be used as a noun. I think that human-rights have no problem in that place.

I appreciate your opinions.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Hyphen and word change question (ex: human-rights vs human rights)

Welcome to the forum, wantknower.

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

EDIT: I see you posted the same thread here.

"We recommend posting a question on one forum only initially. If you do not get a satisfactory answer from that forum and you feel that you have exhausted its possibilities, then of course trying a different forum might help. It is only courteous however, to tell the second forum that you have already asked the question on another forum and then give a precis of the answers you received there, or provide a link to it, along with an explanation of why you are now looking elsewhere."
    (emsr2d2)
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 24-Oct-2020 at 12:00.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Hyphen and word change question (ex: human-rights vs human rights)

Quote Originally Posted by wantknower View Post
    Text

WHAT text?

...........The field of international politics is, however, dominated by states and other powerful actors (such as multinational corporations) that have priorities other than human rights.

There, human is an adjective and rights is a noun.

It is a leading feature of the human-rights field

There, human-rights is an adjective and field is a noun. When we create a single adjective out of several words, we usually hyphenate them.
    Welcome, Wantknower!

One question at a time, please! and ALWAYS tell us the source of quotes.

Thanks!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.