one / a half

She claims a half of the earned money.

Does it sound good or shall I rather use "one" half?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: one / a half

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    She claims a half of the earned money.

Does it sound good or shall I rather use "one" half?
    It is OK with "a". IMO, it would be better with "one" or with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    It is OK with "a". IMO, it would be better with "one" or with nothing at all.
    That's interesting... I wouldn't really expect you to say one can use it also with zero article...
    To be honest, I don't understand why... Anyway, this is one of the things in language that can't be well explained, isn't it? One has to learn it and recognise it with hir or her "language flair" (how do you call it? I can't find the right words to express what I mean, actually.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

That's interesting... I wouldn't really expect you to say one can use it also with zero article...
    To be honest, I don't understand why... Anyway, this is one of the things in language that can't be well explained, isn't it? One has to learn it and recognise it with hir or her "language flair" (how do you call it? I can't find the right words to express what I mean, actually.)
    You are quite right. The use of articles in English is quirky. Native speakers develop a feel for articles at an early age. Sometimes the uses or non-uses defy explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    You are quite right. The use of articles in English is quirky. Native speakers develop a feel for articles at an early age. Sometimes the uses or non-uses defy explanation.
    I hear somewhere that you are never supposed to speak English like a native speaker, if you don't learn to pronounce well till (can I use the preposition here?) your 13th year of age. When you are older, you cannot learn it that well so that (is the conjunction correct?) the native speakers wouldn't recognise English is not your mother language in fact.
    I hope there is no similar "rule" with articles! It would mean I have already lost my chance.

Anyway, do you think that people really can't learn English (I mean the pronunciation) so well, that the others couldn't recognise it is a "foreign" language for them (I mean for the "people")? I still do believe it is possible... Maybe not in English, but I have heard so many people who could speak Czech perfectly (and they weren't Czechs)!

Could you try to correct my English, please? I'm sure I've made too many mistakes...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I hear somewhere that you are never supposed to speak English like a native speaker, if you don't learn to pronounce well till (can I use the preposition here?) your 13th year of age. When you are older, you cannot learn it that well so that (is the conjunction correct?) the native speakers wouldn't recognise English is not your mother language in fact.
    I hope there is no similar "rule" with articles! It would mean I have already lost my chance.

Anyway, do you think that people really can't learn English (I mean the pronunciation) so well, that the others couldn't recognise it is a "foreign" language for them (I mean for the "people")? I still do believe it is possible... Maybe not in English, but I have heard so many people who could speak Czech perfectly (and they weren't Czechs)!

Could you try to correct my English, please? I'm sure I've made too many mistakes...
    I know many foreign-raised Americans who speak English like a native, except for their accents. Some accents are difficult to shake even when someone wants to. I don't think people are too bothered by accents these days as long as the words can be understood.