[General] I chose to work partime....(39 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I now work parttime in a restaurant. A friend of mine thinks that my spoken English is good so I should work in a language school because it can earn much more money. I said the following to him:

I chose to work parttime here for I can meet different and new people. Also, it's a way to fight off my depressed feelings. I don't want to spend much time being alone, it makes me sad and bored.

I wonder if it's natural and grammatical.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

At the moment, I [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] work part-time in a restaurant. A friend of mine thinks that my spoken English is good so I should work in a language school because [STRIKE]it can[/STRIKE] I could earn much more money. I said the following to him:

I chose to work part-time here [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] because I can meet [STRIKE]different and[/STRIKE] new people. Also, it's a way to fight off [STRIKE]my depressed feelings[/STRIKE] depression. I don't want to spend much time [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] alone; it makes me sad and bored.

I wonder if it's natural and grammatical.

See above. I don't like "different and new people". The "and" definitely doesn't work but even "different, new people" sounds awkward. You could try "a variety of new people".

Status
Not open for further replies.