Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . .
I, a non-native speaker of English, need the quotation marks to interpret the "fast" as a noun.
No, you don't. It would be a mistake. Quotation marks mark quotes. That's why they're called quotation marks.

They are not for marking nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, or anything else.

Native speakers often put quotation marks around words on signs simply because they think they look good. They're wrong.

Here are some examples of how NOT to use quotation marks: Bad quotation marks

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I read the slogan, it says "Blast past 'fast'". That is, "fast" is a label it's referring to, not a word that's a functional part of the sentence. The quotation marks are correct.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I read the slogan, it says "Blast past 'fast'". That is, "fast" is a label it's referring to, not a word that's a functional part of the sentence. The quotation marks are correct.
Hm. Maybe we're looking at two different things. I'm looking at this:

blastpastfast.jpg

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I read that before I posted. It's not a quote, so I wouldn't put quotation marks around it.

But you're welcome to!
Quotation marks are also used to mark words that are being written about, as in this case.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For that, I usually see italics.

But in that slogan, fast (see what I mean?) can also be an adverb, like quickly. So I think Apple got it right.

(This time. Not always. "Think different"? Gimme a break!)

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
No, you don't. It would be a mistake. Quotation marks mark quotes. That's why they're called quotation marks.
They are not for marking nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, or anything else.
Yes, I agree. What I was trying to say was that some kind of device (to draw people's attention) would have helped me to better understand the "fast".
It doesn't matter whether the device is quotation marks, italics or baldface.

The "blast past fast" is a bit challenging for non-native speakers of English. It's easy to remember, though.:-D
I doubt many of them will interpret the "fast" as a noun used in the sense of 'the conventional idea/concept of "fast"'.
For me, the noun "fast" means 'a period during which you do not eat food, especially for religious or health reasons' and it requires a determiner in that phrase.:)

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Blast past fast" - three words all end with "ast". What rhetorical device do you native speakers call it? Rhyme?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.