[General] Hyphen and word change question (ex: human-rights vs human rights)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wantknower

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Text

...........The field of international politics is, however, dominated by states and other powerful actors (such as multinational corporations) that have priorities other than human rights. It is a leading feature of the human-rights field that the governments of the world (A) proclaim ( argue ) human rights but have a variable record of implementing (B) human-rights. .............

1. In the paragraph above, (A) proclaim is very natural. What I want to know is whether “argue” can be used instead of ‘proclaim’.

2. In the paragraph above, you can see “human rights” and “human-rights field”. In “human-rights field”, “is ”human-rights“ adjective or noun?

3. In (B), what do you think “human-rights? one teacher said that because ”human-rights“ is an adjective, (B) is wrong. He said that it cannot be used as a noun. I think that human-rights have no problem in that place.

I appreciate your opinions.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, wantknower.:)

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

EDIT: I see you posted the same thread here.

"We recommend posting a question on one forum only initially. If you do not get a satisfactory answer from that forum and you feel that you have exhausted its possibilities, then of course trying a different forum might help. It is only courteous however, to tell the second forum that you have already asked the question on another forum and then give a precis of the answers you received there, or provide a link to it, along with an explanation of why you are now looking elsewhere."
(emsr2d2)

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Text

WHAT text?

...........The field of international politics is, however, dominated by states and other powerful actors (such as multinational corporations) that have priorities other than human rights.

There, human is an adjective and rights is a noun.

It is a leading feature of the human-rights field

There, human-rights is an adjective and field is a noun. When we create a single adjective out of several words, we usually hyphenate them.
Welcome, Wantknower!

One question at a time, please! and ALWAYS tell us the source of quotes.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.