[Grammar] “Can I help you?” said the voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi folks,
Could anyone explain to me why the definite article is used for the first ‘voice’? It’s from A Minute to Midnight by David Baldacci.
They got out and looked around.
“See anyone?” asked Blum.
“No. No cars, either, but the garage might be around back.”
“Can I help you?” said the voice.
They turned to look around for the person.
“Can I help you?” said the voice again.

Thanks as always,
emp0608

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's referring to a voice which has been mentioned previously.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It hasn't been mentioned previously. That's why I find the use of the definite article very unusual.

Here's a longer quote:
The home was large, new, and contemporary in design, with lots of metal and glass.
“Looks like something you’d see a tech mogul build in Palo Alto,” commented Pine as she slowed the SUV and pulled to a stop in front of the house.
They got out and looked around.
“See anyone?” asked Blum.
“No. No cars, either, but the garage might be around back.”
“Can I help you?” said the voice.
They turned to look around for the person.
“Can I help you?” said the voice again.
The sound seemed to be coming from the front door.
“They must have one of those video security systems,” said Pine. They stepped up to the front door and Pine held up her badge.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We use it for speech coming from a machine.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, it is odd. The writer apparently wants to make reference to the voice as if the reader already knows the identity of the voice. It's hard to guess why he'd want to do that, but that is what he wanted to do. Perhaps later context might shed some light on that decision.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They use it for person too, so I guess they are thinking of it as unique.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I believe "around/round back" is OK in AmE.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I believe "around/round back" is OK in AmE.
That's a new one to me. Thanks for clarifying it. I would certainly never say it without "the".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nor would I, but I'm certain I've heard it multiple times by AmE speakers. When they wake up, I'm sure one of them will confirm (or otherwise!)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Around back" is perfectly fine in casual American English.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have received an email from one of Baldacci’s staff members, in which she explains as follows: “In this instance, since there was only one voice speaking, I suspect that David chose to use “the voice” (to indicate a specific voice coming from the security system). That said, “a voice” would have been correct as well. It is simply a matter of the author’s preference.” (I’m posting this with her permission.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have received an email from one of Baldacci’s staff members, in which she explains as follows: “In this instance, since there was only one voice speaking, I suspect that David chose to use “the voice” (to indicate a specific voice coming from the security system). That said, “a voice” would have been correct as well. It is simply a matter of the author’s preference.” (I’m posting this with her permission.)

Wow! That is the first time I have ever known someone actually try to contact an author to ask why they wrote what they did. More to the point, I'm impressed that they replied!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't quite see the point of asking one of Balducci's staff members. Only the author himself is able to satisfactorily answer your question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't quite see the point of asking one of Balducci's staff members. Only the author himself is able to satisfactorily answer your question.

I imagine David Baldacci is a bit too busy to deal with the amount of correspondence he probably gets from all over the world. Most authors have agents or other staff members who deal with such enquiries. If the staff member in question knows his writing style well enough, she might well have given a satisfactory answer. At any rate, it's the closest the OP is going to get to a direct answer from the author.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the staff member in question knows his writing style well enough, she might well have given a satisfactory answer.

This isn't really anything to do with his style, I don't think. I don't think she's any more qualified than we are to guess what was going on in his mind regarding the choice of article used.

In fact, when she says it's simply a matter of the writer's preference, I think she's got it quite wrong. This is not merely a matter of preference—the question is why he chose to make reference to the voice in that way.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
To be honest what she writes sounds more like an excuse to me, although I really appreciate her writing back to me. Another thing I should mention is that the fact she has allowed me to share a part of her email with the forum members may indicate that she has obtained a permission from Mr. Baldacci himself.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To be honest what she writes sounds more like an excuse to me, although I really appreciate her writing back to me. Another thing I should mention is that the fact she has allowed me to share a part of her email with the forum members may indicate that she has obtained [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] permission from Mr. Baldacci himself.

We don't use the article (a) there.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In the same book, 'a voice' is used this way:pine and Blum were crossing the front parlor of the Cottage when a voice called out. “I guess you don’t remember me.”

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Right—a voice is exactly what we'd have expected to read way back in post #1 rather than the voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.