Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
My professor hasn't responded to my previous email, so I am writing another email to follow up.

Subject line: Follow up with my previous Request For Letter Of Recommendation

Dear Dr. XXXXXXX,

Hope you are doing well.

This is XXXXXXX (XXXXXX, from Hong Kong). I was wondering if you have had a chance to look at my e-mail about my request for a letter of recommendation.

If you do not feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation, please do not feel obligated to say yes. I completely understand.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

Is a correct subject line? Is there anything that I can add to this email to make it sound more professional and polite?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My professor hasn't responded to my previous email, so I am writing another email to follow up.

Subject line: Follow-up to my [STRIKE]previous[/STRIKE] request for letter of recommendation

Dear Dr. XXXXXXX,

I hope you are doing well.

[STRIKE]This is XXXXXXX (XXXXXX, from Hong Kong).[/STRIKE]

Put your name at the end, not the beginning.

[/STRIKE] Have you had a chance to look at my [STRIKE]e-mail about my[/STRIKE] request for a letter of recommendation?

If you do not feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation, please do not feel obliged [STRIKE]to say yes[/STRIKE]. I completely understand.

Thank you for taking the time to consider a recommendation.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

Is a correct subject line?

You had too many capital letters.

Is there anything that I can add to this email to make it sound more professional and polite?

It's polite. The third and fourth sentences ("If you do not feel comfortable . . . . I completely understand") do NOT sound professional. The sound highly unprofessional. I would delete them.

Thanks [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE].
You're welcome!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.