Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have learnt that "Adverbial Adjuncts" are adverbs or equivalent to adverbs. The words, phrases or clauses which show how, when, why, where an action is performed, are adverbial adjuncts.

Please consider the following sentences.

1) There is a man here.

2) There was once a king in India, named Dasaratha.

In the sentences above, the first "There" has entirely lost its force as an adverb of place, and is used only to introduce the sentence.

Therefore, can I analyse it as an "adverbial adjunct" or treat it as "introductory"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have seen it called a syntactic expletive, dummy pronoun, place keeper, and probably a few other things as well.

Whatever term you use, somebody will tell you it's incorrect.
They'd be wrong, though. :)

Barman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have seen it called a syntactic expletive, dummy pronoun, place keeper, and probably a few other things as well.

Whatever term you use, somebody will tell you it's incorrect.

Then, how can I define it?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Then, how can I define it?

There is a man here.

This an existentlal clause, where "there" is best analysed as a dummy pronoun serving the syntactic purpose of filling the subject position. "A man" is then analysed as a 'displaced subject', a complement of the verb, but not the syntactic subject of the clause.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
There is a man here.
There are some men here.

Existential "there" has no inherent number but takes on the number of the displaced subject. It’s comparable to the relative pronouns "which" and "who", which take on the number of their antecedent (the guy who was talking vs the guys who were talking).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Existential "there" has no inherent number but takes on the number of the displaced subject.

Displaced? Are you not just talking about the semantic subject, as opposed to the grammatical one?

It’s comparable to the relative pronouns "which" and "who", which take on the number of their antecedent (the guy who was talking vs the guys who were talking).

Right—they agree with the singularity/plurality of their semantic co-referent—i.e., the semantic subject.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Displaced?

In classical transformational grammar, which I don't believe PaulMatthews adheres to, "displaced" actually makes a lot of sense.

Traditionally, a sentence like "There is a man here" was said to derive from "A man is here" via the transformation There-Insertion.

In other words, "there" wasn't there in Deep Structure. "A man" was subject. When "there" was inserted, the real subject got "displaced."

Nowadays, the generative analysis is much, much fancier. Even if I'd studied it enough to explain it (see here), I doubt it'd be useful to learners.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Displaced? Are you not just talking about the semantic subject, as opposed to the grammatical one?
Right—they agree with the singularity/plurality of their semantic co-referent—i.e., the semantic subject.

Yes: the displaced subject in "There is a man here" corresponds semantically to the subject in "A man is here".

Incidentally, two simple tests show that "there" is the subject:

[a] In subject-auxiliary inversion constructions, it occurs after the auxiliary verb, as in "Is there a man here?"

"There" occurs as subject in interrogative tags, as in "There is a man here, isn't there?" This means that we not only know that "there" is subject, we know it's a pronoun.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Incidentally, two simple tests show that "there" is the subject: [. . .] "Is there a man here?" [. . .] "There is a man here, isn't there?"

The peculiar thing about expletive "there" as subject is that it doesn't control subject-verb agreement.

Are there men here?
There are men here, aren't there?

The underlying (non-superficial) subject does.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Are there men here?

There are men here, aren't there?

Yes, "there" inherits its number agreement from the noun phrase it displaces as subject (see #7).

Status
Not open for further replies.