Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Europe
[FONT=&quot]With women, my dear sir, you must be firm. When you’re putting them to a fence, close your legs and don’t check them; but mind you keep ’em under control or they’ll lose their little heads. A man should always let a woman see that he’s got her well in hand.

From
[/FONT]
Mrs. Craddock (set in the late 19th century) by W Somerset Maugham

What does the underlined part mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

"Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Putting them to a fence' is heading them towards something they have to jump over (horses) or overcome (women).
This is archaic usage today which learners should not emulate.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I know the text is from a work of literature, but I find those remarks quite offensive.:cry: I wouldn't follow that kind of advice.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know the text is from a work of literature, but I find those remarks quite offensive.:cry: I wouldn't follow that kind of advice.
I don't understand. What offends you about the advice?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Women are not horses. They're humans. The idea of manipulating somebody and treating them as if they were animals is not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Women are not horses. They're humans. The idea of manipulating somebody and treating them as if they were animals is not my cup of tea.

Fair enough, but we don't know without more context what character Maugham gave these words to, nor to what narrative purpose. Speaking as himself, Maugham would be unlikely to say anything about how to handle women -- he was exclusively gay in the last half of his life.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With women, my dear sir, you must be firm ... but mind you keep ’em under control or they’ll lose their little heads. A man should always let a woman see that he’s got her well in hand.

Regardless of the fact that the opinions and behaviour above were prevalent in the late 19th century, it cannot be stated strongly enough that these days they are not only offensive but entirely unacceptable in the majority of English-speaking countries and the rest of the Western world.
It's entirely possible that most of the learners here know that already but we do generally point out anything that we believe is an important cultural aspect, especially one that would be vital to know if a learner came, for example, to the UK for a visit or to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.